Distributoe Cap wont lock down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distributoe Cap wont lock down?

Odd, the two screws just keep turning. I can pull the cap off with my hand and I doubt this is suppose to be that way?

Why wont the two bitty screws tighten? I may try some plumbers tape on the threads?

2005 Switch Ci

Anyone else experience this?

Flat crab cap? Which motor? What were the circumstances that lead up to finding this problem?
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Vortec 5700 MC 340Hp..I perform a pre-flight every week and when I placed my palm on the DC, i noticed it wobbled. Then I was able to just lift it up with the two retaining screws attached to the cap?

Comment

Okay, thats the crab cap. The distributor has captured nuts in it to accept the screws as they pass through the cap. The bases are sometimes plastic and the screws will strip out. Theres an updated version with captured nuts in the plastic housing and a further update with aluminum bases that were threaded. I would suggest, if it's the plastic housing, through bolting them. However, we had an engine failure from a plastic housing that had the internal oil seal fail, allowing oil into the rotor area which caused detonation and cross firing. Even though it means replacing the distributor, I would recommend installing the MSD unit in place of the plastic one you most likely have.

Comment

Thank you...not sure of your meaning here?

recommend installing the MSD

Comment

If the distributor is the plastic base unit, there are other problems associated with them that could lead to severe engine damage. We've replaced several distributors for several reasons, yours included, and I would recommend an MSD distributor if you decide to go that route.

Comment

Working...
            X