Big Bang/Thud sound from transom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bang/Thud sound from transom

I recently purchased a 2014 RZ4 with 6.0 Indmar. We had it out this evening and we were teaching someone how to get up on a surfboard. This required many start/stops in a row. The boat began to “hiccup” upon throttle and then two times a loud bang/thud sound from the transom area happened upon throttle/acceleration. I can not locate anything loose or heavy enough to make that percussion. Could this be from an exhaust backfire of sorts? Or is this something which comes from a sudden force on the swim platform? I would have thought it was from debris in the water or something but it repeated a second time at the same moment of throttle. After emptying ballasts we cruised back into the slip at normal speeds without further incident. Suggestions on what to check are very welcome!

Cavitation of the prop?

Comment

In regards to the bang/thud....maybe check your swim platform to be sure you didn't lose a retaining pin or the brackets are loose/sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by JayRo View Post
        Cavitation of the prop?
        Jayro, it was more of a pause that the engine would take momentarily, it didn’t feel like a cavitation. I was using Speedset and it almost felt like the boat dropped rpm and then cranked back up again. It was just momentarily but difficult for a new surfer to get up given the drop in tension.

Comment

Did you just give it full throttle and let the speedset so it’s thing or did you control acceleration and then give it a little extra throttle once you reached Speed so the speedset has play?

Comment

Sounds like a possible backfire??

Comment

Originally posted by JayRo View Post
              Did you just give it full throttle and let the speedset so it’s thing or did you control acceleration and then give it a little extra throttle once you reached Speed so the speedset has play?
              I floored it and let it do it’s thing. That’s the right way, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                Sounds like a possible backfire??
                That was what I was wondering. Operating with a large tilt due to ballast, and the boat not getting to really plane out or open up for awhile. The sound was such that I looked to see if my fire extinguisher had come loose under my seat and rolled to the back of the boat in the locker. It was a thunk sound.

Comment

No I like to slowly power up or power to the desired pull then evenly power to set speed and let the speedset take over then.

like a car I don’t set it at 70 mph from zero. I accelerate to that then set. The difference is you set the speedset from start abs control the power up.

I have seen it when you floor it if jerks a little finding acceleration. But not 100% on if that’s your issue.

Comment

We took it out this evening and 3 kids wakeboarded, no issues, no noises. I’ll see what happens when we load it up for surfing again. Bizarre! Thanks for the throttle tip, I’ll try that from now on.

Comment

If it happens again, turn the speed set off and see if it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X