Won't start....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't start....

My 2002 Tige 20i would not start today. It ran fine last weekend but it would not start this afternoon. It will turn over fine. We sprayed some starter fluid and it started right up but would die about 5-10 seconds later. I am assuming that it is somehow not getting fuel. Does anyone know what this could be so that I could try and fix it myself before taking it to the shop.

Thanks,

Quick

When you first turn the ignition to ON do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds to build up the pressure?
    I'm guessing you have a Merc 350 Mag MPI.
    The fuel pressure should be around 22-25 lbs with just turning the key to ON.
    There is a test valve on the end of one of the fuel rails for hooking up a fuel pressure gauge.
    Or you can get a small fuel pressure gauge and screw it in place of one of the pipe plugs in the end of the fuel rails.
    Also, make sure your fuel/water separator is not full of water.

Comment

Thank you so much for the info. I do not hear the fuel pump running. The shop was able to get me in tomorrow morning, so I am just going to take it in. I appreciate the fast response and your willingness to help. I will post up the verdict.

Comment

The fuel pump relay or the fuel pump may be bad.
        The relay is around $30 and the pump might be over $300.
        The labor to replace the pump could be a bit, too.
        If it is the pump you may want to consider changing the pressure regulator, too.

Comment

Fuel pump. Should have it back by Weds. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Fuel pump is replaced and runs like a champ.

Comment

Great to hear! Thanks for the update.
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Working...
              X