Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust system Rattle question (pics included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust system Rattle question (pics included)

OK so I take my 2000 22i down the street to the lake for the first dip of the year and notice a distinct new rattle - I trace it down to where I can feel it (passenger side exhast section past the manifold) - it sounds like something in there is rattling around - so I take it home and take these 2 pictures that seem to show a metal pipe like insert in each exhaust tube. My thinking as that one of these is in the wrong postion since they are apparently in opposite postitions - maybe they are there to prevent the backflow of water?

this pic is from the side that the rattle is on (call it A)

this pic is from the side that I don't think is rattling (call it B)

can anyone tell me if these typically become loose and cause this rattle and or mispositioning? and if they are in the wrong postion what is the correct position?

thanks
    Ian
    Ennis, Texas

Nah, my guess is one of the baffles broke loose. If it bothers you, you can remove it and shake it out.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

are the baffles the metal inserts in the pics or something else?

Comment

the one on the top is the same as the two i have.
        i noticed them when i installed my FAE.
        Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

talked to in inboard mechanic late last week who seemed to think the baffle or whatever that is inside the muffle should be the same direction on both sides of the exhaust. - Going to send him the pics and see what he thinks.

Ian

Comment

Working...
          X