Automatic Bilge Pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic Bilge Pump?

Let me start with some background. Two years ago I purchased a slightly used 2006 Tige 22i with less than 20 Hours on it. It has been a great boat with the exception that it sank the third time I took it out on a lake. Yes all the plugs were in it, been there done that before. It seems the graphite shaft seal cracked while out on Lake Medina. Tige truly understood and sent me a new seal at no cost, because of the low hours of the failure. So even thought the weekend was a total loss with the boat stuck on the trailer, I replaced the seal and the boat has worked flawlessly since then. Now, I have been around the water all my life. I have owned several boats over the years and still have my 88 Ski Supreme tournament boat which I took out on the lake last weekend while getting it ready to sell. Who need 2 boats? While running through the check off list of things, that work or don’t, it hit me and I really feel stupid not thinking of this before, but with the excitement of a new boat and the frustration of discovering it floor deep with water must have blinded me.
    My old boat has a Manual and an Automatic bilge pump setting on the switch.
    I looked at my 18 year newer Tige and it has a 2 position rocker switch with not labels. I assume the 2 positions are for Manual and automatic and it appears to have the exact same bilge pump my old Supreme has with a float for automatic function when the water reaches a certain height.
    But the pump only runs on manual.
    So am I wrong on the automatic function?
    Is my bilge wired wrong? (I think it has a brown and a white wire)
    Or maybe the pump is faulty?

the switch is for manual on/off. the automatic part of the bildge pump is wired staight to the battery. so if the automatic pump didnt kick on you need to look over near the battery for small brown wire with white stripe shoot maybe its red i cant remember but it will be marked with a little white tag "bilgde" it will also have an inline fuse at the battery i would check the fuse and check to see if the wire is hooked to the battery.If the battery has ever been changed it could have been left off it does happen. can you hear pump run when you turn the switch on manual? also you might want to lift the pump out of the base and check the mesh screen they get clogged up and can cause problems. hope this helps. let me know if you have anymore ??
    your pump has 3 wires right? brown
    brown/white
    black
    Last edited by kko; 03-23-2009, 11:13 PM.

Comment

It's probably because the float in the automatic switch is broken or stuck. $50 gets you a new one. I'd look at the old one to make sure there's not some piece of debris stuck in the strainer.

Remind me to never go out with you right after you buy a boat.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies.
        The pump does run on manual and the float works with nothing preventing it from moving.
        I will check the wire at the battery this weekend.

Comment

My bilge float took a crap on me last year, and I found out the hard way. My 20i has a shallow bilge, and my starter got sufficiently wet to kill it. -

Comment

Hi guys
            We have a 2007 tige 20i here in Ireland. Exactly the same issue as Wrasco and i have installed a new pump, as the last one failed. It runs fine on the switch but no auto operation and bilge fills. Will check the wire on the battery. If you have the master switch off will the pump run in auto? Thanks for the info. Is a starter change a big deal to accomplish?
            Best regards volcane
            volcane

Comment

Originally posted by volcane View Post
              If you have the master switch off will the pump run in auto?
              Yes it should if it is hooked directly to the batteries.
              Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

yes in stock form the switch does not matter as it is hooked direct to the battery.
                check the inline fuse at the battery.

Comment

Hi, Had the same problem on my 2008 22Vé.
                  Test the bilge pump first: Connect a normal 12V battery to the three pins of the connector, Black negative and the other two are positive Manual.
                  You can then isolate the pump as the fault or not. Mine was fine.

Then you can go have a look (As mentioned before) for the small fuse connected inline at the back. It is a normal car fuse (5Amp) I think.

This turned out to be my problem, all solved now.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X