Tower speakers cutting out!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zad0030 View Post
    Its probably that chitty music you listen to.
    ho ho hee hee haa haa.. you slay me!!! not
    Here's to swimming with bow-legged women

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
      Woah.

Sorry, I just found this. Here is the probable deal.

* You almost certainly have the ZX350.4 amplifier in the boat for the tower speakers.
      * You have 2 speakers only.
      * The amp is probably wired in bridge mode.
      * You probably also have the isolated dual battery option from the factory.

The amp puts out way more power in bridge mode than is needed, and sees ever-so-slightly too low an impedance in bridge mode, as a result of the component crossover. You also have a .7 volt drop as a result of the diode in the dual battery isolator. This results in a less than optimum battery voltage.

The combination of a .7 volt voltage drop through the battery isolator, a dynamic load impedance of around 3.2 ohms, and a bridged amplifier is what is causing your problem in my opinion.

If you re-wired the tower system so that you were only using half of the amp, with one speaker only per amplifier channel, you will find that the cutting out totally goes away.

You will not hear a noticeable difference in volume, especially after setting the rest of the controls on the amp properly.

If and when you add another pair of speakers, use the other half of the amp at that time.

By the way, one other thing to add; the way most people wire in bridge mode results in a mono-summed signal. The tower speakers are probably not playing in stereo.

I will not go into the pros and cons of mono vs. stereo for the tower speakers, but for most ears it sounds better in stereo, which is what you will get if you go back and re-wire for non-bridged operation.
      holy cow... my brain exploded just reading that!! haha thanks i will pass this info on to my dad

Comment

Originally posted by MTtigekid View Post
        holy cow... my brain exploded just reading that!! haha thanks i will pass this info on to my dad

Now you know why Phil hears voices in his head......
        Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by G-MONEY View Post
          haha

Comment

Originally posted by G-MONEY View Post
            What did you say?

Wait, shut up!

You shut up.

Darn it, I am trying to listen to G

Bite me...
            It's not an optical illusion.
            It just looks like one.....

Comment

^^^ hahahaha

Comment

LOL!

Comment

THREAD REVIVAL!!!!!!!!!
                  okay guys took the boat out yesterday and work somethings out with the stereo... switched x-overs to hi, reset feq and gain<<< all went well
                  the only problem im having now is that when i rewire the amp to a not bridged setup only one of the tower speakers work!!! seems like the only the (+)(-) on the right side of each channal work, i tried just about every wire combo you can think of on the one channal and still only one speaker will work..
                  i guess the major question here is am i missing something?

Comment

Working...
                  X