Fuse or Loose Wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuse or Loose Wire?

While emptying my sacs last night my 12V power adapter gave out and my stereo turned off. This is while my boat was idling, with my lights on as well. It did not seem to affect anything else and I could not get the stereo or 12V to come back on.

Could it possibly be a loose connection or a blown fuse? What should I check?

Check your fuses first - that's what is sounds like since your stereo went out too. It's also fairly easy. Fuse block is in the back with your battery. I can't remember which fuse it is though.

My ballast sac pump has a fuse in the plug too. Something else easy to check, but doesn't explain why your stereo went out.

If fuses are okay - I would next check the connections under the dash. There is a distribution terminal under there.

Comment

Thanks Mike. Is the fuse block on the port or starboard side? I have dual batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Garcia
        Thanks Mike. Is the fuse block on the port or starboard side? I have dual batteries.
        Port side on the transom wall. Better take a flashlight - it's kinda dark back there

Comment

Cool, I will check it out. Thanks.

Comment

Well, I looked but did not find any fuses blown, loose wires, etc. Anyone have any other ideas before I start taking things apart? The stereo is not getting any power at all as well as the 12V. Is their a connection between the two?

Comment

check the yellow wire going into your stereo- there may be an inline fuse there.
              Freude am Fahren.

Comment

Yep, I checked that one too, I believe. Stereo, amps, and sub is getting no power.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Garcia
                  Yep, I checked that one too, I believe. Stereo, amps, and sub is getting no power.
                  Hmmm.......Still sounds like a fuse......how is the amp wired to power? Off the second battery? May be an inline fuse or another fuse block somewhere else. My boat only has one battery, so I'm not familar with a two battery set up.

Comment

Matt:

I had a similar problem last year. it was an inline fuse the dealer placed. I looked for that all over, but couldn't find it. This thing was in the back, about 2 -3 feet away from the battery.

Comment

the 12vlt outlet usually has a fuse located under the dash between it and the ign. switch. it is in a black plastic waterproof holder. just big enough for one fuse.
                      check the load you are putting on that fuse. they don't usually pop for no reason. turn on each accessory tied to that fuse one at a time. if the fuse holds then turn them on all at once. if it pops then just up the fuse amperage. if one acc pops it then there is a short.
                      Greg Denton
                      former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

Well it turns out that it was a blown fuse located in the fuse box near the battery. This particular fuse was looked at twice and was easily overlooked becuase it was blown at the very top part. You had to look very close to see that it was blown.

Stereo works fine but havent had a chance to check the 12v. Thanks for the replys everyone.

Comment

Working...
                        X