Quad Batteries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quad Batteries...

Yep, I said it. Four of 'em. I havent done it yet, but I'm thinking about doing a quad optima yellow top 750 setup. Basically, I'd replace the factory dual battery setup with the 4 optimas- in 2 banks of 2, wired in parallel. So, each bank will be 12 volts @1500 CCA, and when running all 4 with both banks in parallel, it will be 12 volts @3000 CCA.

Having said this, I need to pose a couple of questions-

#1 Will the factory battery switch take that? I'd be running the factory 0-gauge cabling to each battery bank and will be adding short 0-gauge patches to extend the circuits to the additional batteries.

#2 Have any of you had any luck or tried turning the batteries 90 degrees, so that they're sitting in there sideways? I'm probably going to design some sort of billet clamp/mounting hardware and some sort of clear plastic cover to keep it as dry as possible.

Now, to answer the question you're probably asking yourself:
    Why? Well, I'm running about 1000 watts RMS and somewhere in the 2000 watt range peak. The voltage meter reads over 13.5 volts under power with or without the amps cranking out tons of juice. I have no dimming of lights under heavy bass hits... so again- why? Well, I have on accasion run down a battery when sitting on the trailer, and I'm just getting started with the sound system. Plus, I'm going to add some lighting to the boat at a later date. Also, I'm a gearhead and just like to tinker w/ crap. But, I want to be able to sit in the cove and party with the rest of the folks without having to run my engine all the time.

...and yes, the party cove is unpopulated
    Freude am Fahren.

Ruune, sounds like something with that kind of power would fry something in your electrical system.

Why not go with the Optima blue tops if your powering your stereo with it? BTW, what does your system consist of? And oh...sorry I couldnt answer your question.

Comment

I've wired stuff in parallel before... doesnt change the voltage, just the CCA (cold cranking amps) of the battery. Basically, its like putting two huge 12 volt batteries in there. Its the same concept as running two batteries, just using two battery banks.

I've spoken with a few people that run and sell these batteries- They say not to use the blue ones unless you're using trolling motors and/or leave your boat for extended periods of time in-between charges or starts... My boat hasnt gone more than 7 days without being cranked without having a pair of battery tenders on it. In fact, when my boat is in the garage, I've got a battery tender hooked up to each side. These things are worth their weight in gold, BTW. I thought about going with the red tops, but a buddy of mine that sells them said he's had problems with his red top (replaced twice). He advised me to stick with the yellow top. Also, Optima recommends the yellow top for high power A/V systems as well.

As far as what my system consists of at this point:
      6 Polk Momo MMC 650s (2 in front, 4 in back), pushed by a RF punch 100 (front) and an Alpine MRV-305 (back).
      2 Alpine 1041-D Type R subs, pushed by a RF 500s
      Headunit is an Alpine CDA 9827 with the internal amp shut off.
      Wiring- 4AWG cable hooked directly up to battery 1 (passenger side)- with a 60-amp waterproof fuse exactly 18" off the positive battery lead.
      I'm going through 2 4-way distribution blocks, which have 8AWG outputs to the 3 amps.

Now, I'm designing a new tower speaker solution that uses anywhere from 2-6 mid-bass drivers (modular design) and 2 compression loaded horn drivers- all will be crossed over to match the frequency response of the speakers, but I'm not sure of how much juice I'm going to need as far as amps. But, I'm planning on replacing all of the amps with JL audio sometime next year.
      Freude am Fahren.

Comment

Ruune

In my neck of the Woods we call that addicted! Sounds like you have the same disease as me!! Let me know how the Quad battery system works out, cause I might have to install 8!!
        "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

yeah... forget fat sacks! load up on batteries and subs!!!
          Freude am Fahren.

Comment

I would do some research to make sure you don't damage the alternator by doing this. Recharging 4 batteries at once may be more than it was designed to do.

Comment

The yellow top Optima batteries do not have the marine terminals on them and will not work in your boat unless you change the terminal ends on your cables.

Comment

Working...
              X