Boat Electrical Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Electrical Problem

The following is an email from my niece to my sister and her husband. My Sister and Brother in law own a 2003 21i, they are out of the country for an extended period of time and my niece is using the boat while they are gone.

They have encountered a problem as described in the email and so I offered to put it out there on tigeowners to see if anyone had any ideas about what the problem could be. I will try and forward any requests for additional information to them. Any and all help would be appreciated.

LP

here's the email:

The boat has run great all week long with no problems. Then as I was driving the boat up river to meet Brett to pull the boat out of the water all the electrical functions seemed to shut off or malfunction. No depth meter reading, no rpms, no mph, and the taps would not move. Luckily the navigation lights remained on as it was getting to be dusk we were grateful for that. Once I had pulled the boat onto the trailer I tried to turn the boat off and it wouldn't turn off. I took the key out of the ignition without any problem, but the boat stayed on. Brett then came in the boat and turned the switch to turn off the navigation lights, and that turned the boat off for some reason. So something is seriously wrong about the electrical configuration, or some short.

So where do we go from here? We were planning on going home Sunday evening, but I don't work this Monday, and if it would help we could stay until Monday and take it in to Eddie's. We would like to know what you want us to do. Is electrical under warranty with Tige? Should we tow the boat to Riverside? Or if not is this something Eddie's could fix?

sounds like something in the ign switch to me. a real weird one for sure but thats where i would start to look. when brett turned the switch off what switch is she talking about? the nav. light switch? batt. switch? ign switch?please let us know more info or fix if you get anything.

Comment

it was the navigation light switch.

Comment

Sounds like it could be a ground wire issue.

Comment

I would check the cables at the battery
          Common Sense is not so Common
          Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Either what lee said or there are 2 inline fuses coming from the ignition switch. I had one go out on me and it killed all my gauges.

To check the fuses, just follow the power wires from the ignition switch.
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Working...
            X