01 21i stiff steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

01 21i stiff steering

The steering on my 01 21i has gotten very stiff over the last winter. it has loosened some but it is still nowhere near where it used to be. Is there anything that I can do to remedy this problem?

I'm afraid the answer is a new cable. It's an easier DIY on a direct drive.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I agree with Dogbert, you will probably need to replace the steering cable. It was pretty simple. I just did mine two weeks ago. The cable cost under $100. Nice and smooth now.

If you wanted to try something anyway, there is a zerk fitting, on the Rudder, underneath the gas tank, that you could try. You could also disconnect the steering cable from the rudder and lube the metal parts that slide inside of each other.
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Mine was like that first time out last year, then my brother was coming back around to pick me up after a wakeboard spill and almost ran over me cause the steering went out. Turn out to be the steering helm had locked up. Fun day, had to about 1.5 miles back to the ramp with an 8" cressent wrench for a steering wheel.
        How can I be racist when all of my assault rifles are black?

Comment

Steering Cable, Replace it, its a piece of cake on a Direct Drive
          Common Sense is not so Common
          Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

You got lucky, some cat just did a how to on that.

Changing your cable.

Comment

Hi, I need to do this on my 2001 21i. What length cable and is there a step by step to follow? Thanks! It's our first boat so I am new to all of this.

Comment

Working...
              X