Dual Battery System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Battery System?

Ok, I have looked a couple of systems to set up a second battery to handle the load of the stereo and other electrical toys, while our 22v is off.

Does anyone have a good recomendation for any of the various products out there? What type do you use?

Cost is not really an option, they are all about the same, but convience and relability are.

Do I want a manual system or one that is "transparent". I am looking to install one pretty soon.

Here's what I want to power with the second battery.. Stereo (Two amps, head unit), bilge, heater, shower system, lights (tower and running). What are my best options?

Thanks for the help.
    "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

I have a dual set up in mine. I looked at the isolators and stuff then went with a continuous duty relay. Stinger has one rated for 200 amps. I think it is a little overkill, but no problems. The reason I went with the relay is because I do not have to do anything to make it work. When the key is on, both batteries are connected to the charging system. I could just see forgetting to turn a manual switch to the next position and having a dead battery. The isolators would work, but I feel they have more potential to have problems (very subjective). I have been told the problem with two batteries is they never are exactly the same voltage. The one that is lower will drain the higher one, switching back and forth until they are both dead. The relay just breaks the circut until you want them together, when the motor is running.
    Are you sure you want the bilge pump hooked to the same battery you are draining while chilling and listening to the stereo. You can do it however you want, but I think it is a safety system and you would want it away from the play system.
    Scott

Comment

Good Thought

It is a good thought on the bilge, I don't think I will hook it up the "play" system. I guess if there is really a need to bilge, I will just turn over the ignition. I have been looking at the Hellroaring isolators, and the Stinger relays. Both are hands off.

Comment

I added a second battery to my boat for the same reasons. I used a perko battery switch which allows you to isolate each battery separately. The only thing that is connected to my second battery is the starter so its basically a backup. All the equipment including the battery, cables & switch cost around $150 and only took an hour to install. I'm no mechanic either. It has worked great so far.

Comment

I also went with the perko setup using Optima marine batteries...problem free to date.

Comment

I thought hard about the Perko Switch, but I think I have decided against it. If I were the only one using the boat, then I could guarantee that there would be no problems with remembering to manually switch the system, but since we have some notoriously forgetfull users (hence the need for a secondary system).

Comment

Working...
            X