voltage regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

voltage regulator

Was out on the lake last weekend and my Alpine Amp displayed "VLT" - no sound. After checking Alpine's website, I found this error code indicates too much voltage. This particular Amp powers my cabin speakers and two Fusion Tower Speakers. My second Alpine Mono Amp (powers sub) was working just fine. Any one else have this issue? Where would I look for the voltage regulator? I have a 2006 22Ve' with the Marine Power 5.7.

Originally posted by yearroundboarder View Post
    ... Where would I look for the voltage regulator? ...
    The voltage regulator is probably on the backside of the alternator, i.e. built-in. It can be replaced. First get a voltmeter and check the system voltage. It should be around 12.4 v key-on, engine-off and around 13.5 v engine-on (above idle a little). At times it might get up to 14.4 v. The alternator is capable of around 17 v, but is regulated down to 13.5 - 14.4 for charging. If the regulator goes bad the voltage can get over 14.4v and maybe that's what your amp is seeing.

Here's some info on the system: http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm

Comment

My alternator did that just before it went out completely.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Just a little more info on my situation. We've been surfing a lot over the past 2 years and on my boat, the blower vent comes out below the rub rail on the transom. Consequently, I end up with a fair amount of water in my bilge towards the end of the day. My bilge pump was located in front of the V-Drive, which is the lowest part of the boat, starboard side. We're usually listing the boat pretty heavily to port, so the bilge was useless.

The alternator is located on the rear starboard side of the engine and it's mounted pretty low. While it is marine grade, it's definitely not designed to take a constant bath. So, I moved my bilge to the rear next to the rudder. That has helped a lot. I still run the bilge manually every once in a while so I don't have too much sloshing around down there, but I probably don't have to.

It might be worth taking a look at your alternator to see if it's corroded.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Thanks guys; great insight. I guess I wasn't expecting that the altenator would be going bad on a 2006 boat with less than 50 hours on it. I'll check the voltage and let you all know what I find.

Thanks again.

Comment

Checked everything and found that a transistor in the AMP was bad. Sent it back to Alpine. Not under warranty, but fixed it for $70.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
              My alternator did that just before it went out completely.
              What did the voltage jump to before it went out?Did it raise slowly or just shoot up?Reason I ask is because my boat was charging 14.6 today.
              NC//OKC\\

Comment

That's normal. Mine went to above 16 and then finally pegged the meter before it died completely.

Comment

Working...
                X