Taps Shorting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taps Shorting

OK I have an issue that I would like some outside thoughts on. I have something going on with my taps. The other day I was getting complete shut down of the engine with an alarm sounding every time I tried to raise the Taps. Down would work up would kill the engine.

Now It is only shutting down the engine and alarm sounding when it gets all the way up to 1 its highest position.

Anyone got any ideas as to what the problem is?

Thanks,
    Bobby

It sounds like some sort of ground issue. Some folks have had issues with their TAPS wires shorting out at the switch. Do you have an electric or hydraulic TAPS system?
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I think it would be hydraulic as it is a 06 22ve but to be honest I haven’t looked at it. I would have asked my dealer but I they don’t have a tech anymore and the Super Tech they had down last week didn’t even look at my wires to my batteries to see that the charging wire wasn’t even hooked up after during my de-winterization.

I will check the ground wire when I am out next time. I am guessing people were having issues with the terminal at the hydraulic pump?

BD

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyD View Post
        I think it would be hydraulic as it is a 06 22ve but to be honest I haven’t looked at it. I would have asked my dealer but I they don’t have a tech anymore and the Super Tech they had down last week didn’t even look at my wires to my batteries to see that the charging wire wasn’t even hooked up after during my de-winterization.

I will check the ground wire when I am out next time. I am guessing people were having issues with the terminal at the hydraulic pump?

BD
        it is hydrolic and should also be under warranty still.

Comment

If you have a Deep Cycle battery, there should be three wires connected to the + terminals. Sounds like you do but wanted to make sure you have all three attached.

Comment

I am not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but to me that sounds kinda like it would be a position sensor issue if it goes down ok but trips out going up. They up/down motion use the same ground and same electrical circuit; why would one way be ok and the other not? The only logical thing (in my mind) would be something that seperates the up/down motion and that would lead me to the position sensor.

Try disconnecting the gauge and see if maybe something in the gauge is giving feedback when it moves toward the "1" position you mentioned.

Again, I'm no engineer so I may be FOS. You don't seem to be getting solid answers though, so I thought I'd throw out my thoughts for you to do what you like with them.

Keep us informed on what it was.
            Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

What 3 wires?

I can't get my taps to work either. Maybe I don't have the correct 3 wires connected to my positive terminal? My main switch lights up and the guage then pegs at 7 but the ram will not move at all. When I turn the main switch off, I can hear a pump or motor unwind. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by dustinkim25 View Post
                I can't get my taps to work either. Maybe I don't have the correct 3 wires connected to my positive terminal? My main switch lights up and the guage then pegs at 7 but the ram will not move at all. When I turn the main switch off, I can hear a pump or motor unwind. Any suggestions?
                Check your hydraulic fluid reservoir.
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Can't find the res.

I've searched all over both sides in the back locker and can't find any sort of fluid res. I'm wondering if I have an electric only type setup? Any suggestions on where else to look for a fluid res.?

Comment

I was wondering if you had the fluid or electric. The newer models definitely have the fluid. Anyways, there should be a line/cable coming from the back area. Follow that line/cable to find the device.

Where is Lee and his two sentence help.

Comment

My resovoir (sp) is in the rear locker starboard side. There's a small trap door with 2 twist handles to unscrew, open the door to access the transom. The opposite side has the battery. Your res. should be back there, maybe hiding behind the wall, or in the dark but it will be back there somewhere.
                      Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

On a direct drive, it's up front near the walkway.

Comment

It got dark on me so I will continue my quest tomorrow and let you all know what I come up with. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Still can't find the pump

I must be some kind of a blind idiot because I still can't find any pump or res. to do with my taps! Somebody help this poor guy!

Comment

According to Lee on another forum, my boat does not have a hydraulic unit and it is an electrical only system so I am going to start over and check the wiring in my throttle switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X