Plenty of battery and no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plenty of battery and no start

I've got good batteries and what seems to be plenty of power going to the starter, but the engine will not fire. In the past I could fiddle with the throttle and I'd get it to start. I suspect the safety feature that will not allow a start when in gear may have something to do with it. Has anyone had a similar problem and discovered a solution? Thanks

Lets clarify whats happening: It will Crank (spin over under the power of the starter) but not start (run under it's own power with air, fuel, and spark.

Has it run this year?

How are you determining the battery(s) are good?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Sounds like your throttle neutral safety switch. I think there is a thread in this forum on it.
      http://www.wakeboatworld.com
      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by Sully View Post
        ... In the past I could fiddle with the throttle and I'd get it to start. I suspect the safety feature that will not allow a start when in gear may have something to do with it. ...
        Your shifter cable from the throttle connects to one side of the trans. Assuming it's a Borg Warner Velvet Drive, on the other side of the trans you'll find the neutral safety switch. It should have 2 wires connected to it. You could temporarily connect a jumper across the terminals and see if your problem goes away. If the problem goes away replace the switch - neutral safety switch (new style, 7/8” wrench) 1000-640-004, Alto Products Corp. ALT99328. Around $25.

Comment

Thank for the advice! To clarify chpthril, it does not crank. Everything powers up and it seems like power is going to the neutral safety switch. I'll have the switch looked at. I really appreciate the advice and I'll post the results of the safety switch inspection.

Thanks!

Comment

do you hear a clicking when the key is turned to the start position?

Comment

The NSS would be the first place to start, like suggested.

Check it with a 12v test light, should be hot on both sides with key in "crank"
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
              X