Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you consider a dead battery?

What is considered a "dead" battery?

My deep cycle is roughly 1-1.5 years old. It is the same deep cycle battery that came with my 07 22ve from Tige. Since I took delivery May of last year, the battery only received a full charge a few times (outside of the small amounts of charge received from alt). I bought a new, fairly high end battery charger that reads the battery's % charge. This weekend, I pulled the deep cycle out and brought it home as I was really curious to see the remaining level of the battery. Long story short, it was really, really low @ 30%. I charged it back up (it is a multi-stage charger) to 100%, took it off the charger, and let it sit overnight (elevated off the concrete floor). When I put the charger back on the battery, it had already dropped down to 70%, with literally nothing hooked to it. I'm going to test again tomorrow to see what charge is lost overnight tonight.

Should a battery lose charge with nothing pulling power from it?

Not that much
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I have some Deka batteries that have been sitting on a rack for eight months and they still show 12 volts or a little more.

Comment

Need to go by the voltage level, not a % displayed by a charger.

State of Charge...... Specific Gravity ......Voltage
        .................................................. .......12V/6V
        100% ........................1.265 ................12.7/ 6.3
        *75% ........................1.225 ................12.4/ 6.2
        50% ..........................1.190 ................12.2/ 6.1
        25% ..........................1.155 ................12.0/ 6.0
        Discharged .................1.120 ................11.9/ 6.0
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The battery will usually read 12 volts but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good. You need to read voltage across the terminals when your starting the engine. This puts a load on the battery. It shouldn't go lower than around 10.5 or 10. If it does it is time to replace the battery. If this happens with a new battery then you might have a starter issue or something else. We usually replace ours every 2-3 years. You can usually tell a slow decline on the sound of the engine startup as the battery gets weaker with age. Another tip, check your alternator for around 14 volts output for charging.
          "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

Just thought i would give you an update. I had the battery load tested yesterday, after charging to full.

They ran three diff tests:
            1-Battery dropped to 70%, but still read that it was good
            2-Battery dropped to 65%, but read was good
            3-Battery dropped to 47%, battery not good.

They told me that it appeared as though I had a cracked plate and the battery was toast.

Comment

If it's still doing its job why replace it? Use it until it goes out completely (assuming you have dual batteries). If it's your only battery, I'd add a 2nd and use that one until it croaks....then replace it.
              Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

It is under warranty now. If i know it is bad, i'm having it replaced while i can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T View Post
                  It is under warranty now. If i know it is bad, i'm having it replaced while i can.
                  Hum, that sounds easy enough to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T View Post
                    Just thought i would give you an update. I had the battery load tested yesterday, after charging to full.

They ran three diff tests:
                    1-Battery dropped to 70%, but still read that it was good
                    2-Battery dropped to 65%, but read was good
                    3-Battery dropped to 47%, battery not good.

They told me that it appeared as though I had a cracked plate and the battery was toast.

What was the before and after voltage on the first test? It's sounding like a bad battery IMPO
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                    X