2nd battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd battery

I am installing a 2nd battery since I am upgrading my stereo. I only have the one starting battery presently. I bought a deep cycle battery and a perko switch. I think I know what I am doing but need clarification on a few things. I have searched and read many threads on this....stole a few diagrams and all I need to do is measure the cable lengths and have my local battery shop make the cables.....

My deep cycle battery will be located directly next to the starting battery, so the cable runs will be very short. Here is the diagram that I jacked from another thread (thank you to whoever took the time and created it)

I am unsure what the battery switch is....do I have one?? Do I just run a ground from the new battery (-) to the starting battery (-), Put the alternator wire on the 3rd post on the perko, and run power wire from Bat 1 and Bat 2 to the same on the perko switch.....and leave everything else alone?

Thanks for all of your help! I will be posting up pics once this is completed and my stereo is in....hopefully this weekend!!

-Quick
    Attached Files

Nice picture

I am unsure what the battery switch is....do I have one??
    Could be close to the battery if you have one. It would be a simple ON/OFF and you will no longer need it.

Do I just run a ground from the new battery (-) to the starting battery (-),
    Yes

Put the alternator wire on the 3rd post on the perko, and run power wire from Bat 1 and Bat 2 to the same on the perko switch.....and leave everything else alone?
    Alt wire will go the to "C" (common) stud on the Perko. + from starting battery can go to the B1 stud, and + from the House battery to Batt2 stud. If you want to use the deepcycle House battery as a backup starting battery, the starter cable will need to go to the C stud also. Good chance the alt goes to the starter post and the starter wire runs to the battery or current ON/OFF switch.

Any other accessories that you want to run off the House battery, will need to be located and transferred over to the new battery.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Chp,

Thanks again for all of your help! I owe you a 30 pack if you're ever in Phoenix!

Comment

Oh yeah.....

Do I want to leave it on "Both" when I am running........and then 2 when I am beached?

Comment

Originally posted by quick View Post
          Chp,

Thanks again for all of your help! I owe you a 30 pack if you're ever in Phoenix!
          That's my going rate
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            That's my going rate
            I figured!

Comment

Working...
            X