Ipod AUX in for Clarion XMD1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ipod AUX in for Clarion XMD1

Saw this on another site. I'm putting a cable together and hope to test it this weekend. I'll post the results:
    Attached Files
    -Tip

did this work out for your? i've wanted to make mine work. any feed back?

Dom
    Originally posted by G-MONEY
    It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Works great. I use it all the time.
      -Tip

Comment

so how did you make it work?

Dom
        Originally posted by G-MONEY
        It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

I made a cable based on the diagram and plugged it into the CD Changer port on the back of the clarion head unit. When I throw the switch on the cable, the head unit displays AUX. Then I just plug the cord into the IPOD.

It works well but I don't like having the cable hanging all over.

Another thing, if you have some kind of 12v charger for your IPOD, you will likely(I did) need a noise arrestor otherwise you will get a nasty hum when you listen to the IPOD through your deck while its charging (with the motor running).

I found the 13 pin DIN at a local audio store, the rest of the stuff is availlable at Radio Shack. Ordering the 13 Pin DIN online is much cheaper.
          Last edited by Tip; 06-26-2005, 01:08 AM.
          -Tip

Comment

TIP

I'm trying to do the same thing you did. Can you tell us what parts you bought to make it and show a pic or 2. How much did it cost?

Comment

I went to a local audio store and bought the DIN plug. I think I paid about $8.00 for the plug, but you can find them on the internet for $2-3.

I don't use the cable anymore, it was too much of a hassle and was not able to charge my Ipod.

I bought a really good RF modulator that plugs into a cigarette lighter plug. The RF modulator I bought allows me to select any freguency on the FM band (this is important), the sound quality is not that bad when you find an open frequency.

Here is a link to the company where I bought my RF modulator (it was not cheap, I think I paid around $100 for it, but it works great).

http://www.dlo.com/Products/car_Prod...28017555401292
              -Tip

Comment

what was the hassle? Cant you leave the 13 pin plugged into the back and the other end in the glove box (or run it to the driver seat)?

I'm also curious about the on/off switch (on your self made adapter). What would happen if there were no on/off switch? would the radio show aux until the 13 pin DIN got unplugged from the back of the radio?

I thought once the adapter was pugged in you could just plug the MP3 in when you want it and unplug it when you're done.

By the way, I'm assuming this can be used for non-ipod MP3 players. Was the other end of your adapter a 1/8" male jack?

Comment

The hassle was where to run the cord. I don't like leaving my ipod on the seat so I ran the cord out of the seat and into the clove compartment. I could not charge the ipod while using it because it would create an awful hum (this can fixed by buying an audio isolator filter). And everytime I wanted to change songs I had to open the compartment.

With my RF device I plug my ipod into the cig lighter next to the driver's seat on the right, it has a nice cradle to keep it from getting banged around if you hit some wake, and it's easy to change songs.

I used a 6mm (1/8") plug on my cord so that I could hookup either my XM radio or my ipod. I stopped using my XM radio because everytime I turn off the motor (which is a lot when changing riders) the XM radio would turn off, it just got too painful to have to keep turning on all the time.

I think the ultimate solution is a head unit that has built interface for the ipod and satelite radio. There are several companies making these now but not 3 years ago when I bought my boat.
                  -Tip

Comment

I'm still curious about the on/off switch you put on the adapter. What would happen if it wasn't there? Would the radio stay on aux as long as the 13 pin was plugged into the input? Or would unplugging the MP3 return the the radio to normal operation?

Was the cord you used just a 4 strand wire? And how did you connect that to a 1/8" jack?

Got a lot of ?'s here. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I suppose if you hardwired the 5 pin to the 9 pin you could just plug in the cord to get the "AUX" message, but I never tried it.

There are two ways to convert to a single 1/8" plug. You can wire the inputs exactly like the diagram using two standard RCA jacks and then buy an adapter at radio shack to convert two RCAs to 1/8".

Or you can connect the two shielded ground wires in the diagram together and solder them to the tip portion of a 1/8" stereo plug. Then solder each of the remaining wires to the other two terminals on the 1/8" plug.

I would not recommend option one because it will put a lot more pressure on your Ipod headphone outlet if the plug gets moved around while plugged in.
                      -Tip

Comment

I'm going back to NC in May to get my boat ready for the long haul to the west coast, I'll take some pictures of the cable and post them.
                        -Tip

Comment

I forgot to say that I used plain 18 ga. speaker wire for the whole thing.
                          -Tip

Comment

you can get them at Crutchfield.com for about 20.00 already made
                            Attached Files
                            Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

whitlock87

Is that adapter for the Clarion xmd1 (13 pin input on the back)?

Comment

Working...
                              X