No announcement yet.

On Board Battery Charger Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crap, didn't take pictures when I was in the boat but here is one that I have. I moved the batteries behind the wall and the charger was moved to the lower left hand side of the wall. The plug goes back behind the wall and mounts to the inside of the Activity Center boxes. I then run my extension cord into the boxes and plug it into the wall.

Clear as mud?

Comment

My setup is similar, one battery between the rear bulkhead and transom on each side and the charger mounted on the port side, but in the rear storage compartment.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

So here's a pic i found of of an install with a perko, blue sea SI ACR, circuit breaker, fuse block, distribution block and a slew of wires! Talk about confusing and way more than neccessary! Granted some of this for the stereo but it's way harder than it needs to be!

So Guru Guys if you were going to add a Blue Sea ACR into an existing loop that has a Perko, how would you wire that mess?
        Attached Files
        "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

Razz,

Blue sea has a variety of diff wiring configs, depending on how the system will be used. Or you can just come up with your own as we did for Micah.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I would run the Blue Sea and Perko like the diagram they have online for it. Batteries combine to charge, otherwise remain isolated or joined depending on where you set your Perko switch. This seems like the most logical way to wire it in. BTW in this diagram, the starting battery is on the right, and the house battery is on the left.

Like this.

Last edited by spharis; 05-22-2008, 07:59 PM.
            http://www.wakeboatworld.com
            []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

I could just leave my exising "2-OFF-1-ALL" perko to all and leave it with your diagram correct?
              "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

Yes. That is straight from Blue Sea, and it is exactly how I would do it if I wanted to isolate my batteries and keep my Perko (though I would likely just remove the Perko). I would set battery 1 on the switch to my house, battery 2 on my switch would go to the starting battery. You could turn the switch and start from either one, two, or both, and once the engine is started, regardless of battery switch position, both banks are charging from the alternator. Battery 1 would always power the stereo and battery 2 would always power the starter when the engine is not running.
                http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

I have got a battery each side, one is clearly starter and other is house however neither is holding charge well (this could just be an age issue) when you guys have been referring to a battery charger is this one you hook up to the mains at home so you can charge batteries whilst boat is stored?

Comment

Originally posted by UK based tige View Post
                    I have got a battery each side, one is clearly starter and other is house however neither is holding charge well (this could just be an age issue) when you guys have been referring to a battery charger is this one you hook up to the mains at home so you can charge batteries whilst boat is stored?
                    Yes. There are some that will charge and maintain the battery when not in use.

Comment

got it, cheers! Not sure that will work for me since the boat is up on a dry stack...

Comment

It would work if you have electricity readily available or a super long extension cord.

Comment

What do you reckon 400 yards of electric cord would set me back?

Comment

If you had sunlight available, ICP GLOBAL technologies makes a little 5 watt solar panel that does a good job as a battery maintainer. Get one for each battery, and simply connect them. The 5 watt panel is small enough to not need a charge controller to prevent battery cooking due to over charging.
                            It's not an optical illusion.
                            It just looks like one.....

Comment

Originally posted by UK based tige View Post
                              If your batteries are 3 yrs old, I would get them tested/checked very close. If they're 4 or more........just replace to be safe.
                              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

sunlight is a little intermittent over here, i think I may bite the bullet and replace them as they are probably at least 4 years old given the state the boat is in from the previous owners.

Comment

Working...
                                X