X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
    Yes, hydraulic it is.
    Okay, thought so...

The TAPS pump should work like other pumps. There is the pump circuit, and the valve circuit.

The valve circuit energizes a solenoid coil, opening and closing the valve(s) to and from the reservoir. When the coil is energized, it makes a magnetic field which acts upon the valve and opens or closes it. When the switch is released, the magnetic field in the coil collapses, and makes a big voltage spike. This spike shows up both in the electrical power circuit and even through the air, like the static caused by lightning.

What we want to do is absorb this energy spike with a non-polar electrolytic capacitor. These are also called bass blockers and are available at many car stereo shops. It takes two; one for sending the TAPS down, and the other for when you are pulling the TAPS up.

Someone will have to look, but I bet there are three wires connected to the TAPS switch at the dash. One, (probably the center one on the switch) is the power in. The other two are the up and down trigger wires.

If I am right about the switch and the wiring, you will want to connect one of the capacitor leads to each of the two trigger wires, and tie the other end of both capacitors to a good ground. Do this behind the dash, well away from the motor.

If I am not right about the TAPS switch ad the wiring, I might need someone to take a pic of the back of the switch, or maybe someone like Spharis can come in and help with determining where these wires really are, and the best place to tap into them.

I know though that the basic capacitor, (AKA bass blocker) installation will work.
    It's not an optical illusion.
    It just looks like one.....

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
      Yes, hydraulic it is.

2005 should/could have the electric Lenco model.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
        I was commenting on Jeff T's 2007 boat.

Comment

BY the way, the TAPS system might not follow ABYC color codes, since it is technically sort of not TILT/TRIM, but there is a very probable chance that the two wires we want to install the capacitors on are white with green stripe, and white with blue stripe.

The power wire going to the switch should be orange.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
            And if I recall, the Lenco stuff does not make the noise, or at least not as much...

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
              And if I recall, the Lenco stuff does not make the noise, or at least not as much...
              yeah dont you remember... I had this problem with the blower also
              Common Sense is not so Common
              Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Originally posted by zad0030 View Post
                yeah dont you remember... I had this problem with the blower also
                We all know why you had problems with the blower......

Okay, seriously though, if the device is making noise, the noise can probably be tamed with a capacitor. If you are cozy with electrical terminology, understand that a cap parallel to the offending load will absorb the noise, and will do so without affecting the load device's performance.

Comment

Poping sound when using taps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On some boats there were a couple complaints about when you use taps there is a poping sound coming though the stereo speakers (tower speakers). The fix on this is to install a 50 ohm 10 watt Wirewound Risistor which can be purchased at the local Radio Shack. Install this on the blue wire for the taps pump. It connects the blue wire to ground. This will stop the poping sound coming through the stereo.

Comment

Common fix for ground loop.
                    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

I appreciate all your comments, I will look at the bass blocker and a wirewand resistor, Philwsailz you are correct about the wiring, your advice is well taken

for other comments The stereo is Tige' factory installed and set by Tige', I have not touched or adjusted the amps.
                      Also, it does not pop when using the blower or any other switches.

thank you for all the comments, i will give a few things a shot and post my sucess.

Rooster

Comment

wirewand resistor works, attach one end to either wire from taps switch before it goes into the junction box and connect other end of resistor to a ground

thanx for the help

Rooster

Comment

Working...
                        X