Voltage on second batt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltage on second batt

How do i know the voltage on my "Tige option Dual Battery" option for the second battery? I assume the voltage reading on the dash is for the cranking battery (important) but I want to know the second battery as well.
    Besides using a $10 volt meter manually everytime....
    I am installing a battery tender/charger that I can plug into shore power every time but I would like to know if it needs a charge or not.
    So is there a way to have the dash monitor show both batteries or a tender that shows it from its location?
    Work Hard, Play Harder

I found this but I need to confirm that the tige dash monitor doesnt already do both batteries....
    http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-products/DPri2.html

Guess I will find out this weekend on my water demo/closing on the boat...
    Work Hard, Play Harder

Comment

Like you, I'm assuming that it just monitors the starting battery. I've run my stereo battery down to the point that the head unit will not power up, but the gauge show full battery.

Never thought about it, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm got my thinking. All you would need is a $3 on/off/on switch from radio shack, or spend a little more for one to match the factory switches, and a hot lead off the "House" battery. A simple flip of the switch and you can read one battery or the other.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I ordered a battery terminal that has a LCD readout for my stereo batteries. I haven't installed it yet so I can't give any feedback to its usefullness or function.
        Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          Like you, I'm assuming that it just monitors the starting battery. I've run my stereo battery down to the point that the head unit will not power up, but the gauge show full battery.

Never thought about it, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm got my thinking. All you would need is a $3 on/off/on switch from radio shack, or spend a little more for one to match the factory switches, and a hot lead off the "House" battery. A simple flip of the switch and you can read one battery or the other.
          Great idea... Since I have 4 batteries, might be worth it's weight.

Originally posted by Jason B View Post
          I ordered a battery terminal that has a LCD readout for my stereo batteries. I haven't installed it yet so I can't give any feedback to its usefullness or function.
          Can you tell us where you bought it????? Link???? Thanks

Comment

Ok, here is what I'm going to do:

Use an unused switch/position on the dash. May not need to buy a switch, I think I've got an unused one.

Move original "Starter" battery 12v supplie to gauge to switch terminal A, run new wire from switch terminal B to gauge, find a 12v fuse/breaker under dash that is suppiel by "House" battery and run a wire from it to switch terminal C.

I figure 30 minutes time and the cost of a switch.
            Attached Files
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Great Idea

Comment

Glad I could promote the idea for yeah ...nice let me know if it works....
                Work Hard, Play Harder

Comment

Ok, here is what I'm going to do:

Use an unused switch/position on the dash. May not need to buy a switch, I think I've got an unused one.

Move original "Starter" battery 12v supplie to gauge to switch terminal A, run new wire from switch terminal B to gauge, find a 12v fuse/breaker under dash that is suppiel by "House" battery and run a wire from it to switch terminal C.

I figure 30 minutes time and the cost of a switch.

Even better idea
                  I think I will try it tonight

Comment

Just went out and rewired the volt gauge and it works perfect. I used my tower light switch for now, til I find a switch with a labeled cover for "BATTERY"

Comment

Crap I dont think I have any spare/empty swtiches I will double check....bummer
                      Glad it worked
                      Work Hard, Play Harder

Comment

Couldn't find the exact one but this is the same idea. You'll have to physically look into the compartment to check it which is more of a pain than Dogbert's idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-0-4-8-Ga-Pos-N...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Couldn't find the exact one but this is the same idea. You'll have to physically look into the compartment to check it which is more of a pain than Dogbert's idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-0-4-8-Ga-Pos-N...QQcmdZViewItem
                          I'm not sure I weighed in on this topic so I have no idea what you are talking about.
                          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                            I'm not sure I weighed in on this topic so I have no idea what you are talking about.
                            OOPS, Sorry Dogbert, I meant to say Chpthril's idea...my bad.

Comment

OOPS, Sorry Dogbert, I meant to say Chpthril's idea...my bad.
                              Everyone's allowed a senior moment now and then
                              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Working...
                              X