Trailer running light help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer running light help

Hi all! I just traded my Bu for a 2100v Better wake and better for hanging out with the family. It came with a Dorsey trailer and it keeps blowing the running light fuse in my vehicle. I replaced the wiring harness and made sure the ground from the harness had a good connection to the trailer. Does anyone have any ideas on what else to check?
    I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. -Ron White

When does it seem to blow? Is it random or while braking/turn signal? Immediately?
    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
      When does it seem to blow? Is it random or while braking/turn signal? Immediately?
      I've had a similar issue that just started with mine. It's intermittent. At first it was the turn signal, then it was the brake. I've searched high and low and I know there's a short there somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I finally just put a 30A instead of a 20A fuse and called it a day. Sometimes it dims, but problem solved so far.

BTW, mine's a Roadmaster trailer.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

If you add up the draw of all the bulbs on the trailer, it might be more than the 20A that was in there. Might need to up it a bit for the trailer.
        http://www.wakeboatworld.com
        []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Happens immediately. Bigger fuse may be the answer, I'll try that. My old trailer had no problems but 2 fewer bulbs.

Comment

What is the tow vehicle??? I would up the fuse but also check the wiring/mounting of the running light. One of my running lights was pinching the wire because the hole was not drilled correctly, and since the running light grounds through the rivet it was shorting and blowing quite rapidly.

Comment

My tow vehicle is a 2004 F-150 Lariat.
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. It was a 10 amp fuse in the vehicle. Put in a 20 and it works great. I probably should have thought of that but it has been a rough couple months in the mortgage business and my brain is FRIED You guys just saved me the hassle of re-wiring a trailer. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X