No slalom Taps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No slalom Taps

My rocker switch works to go to the wakeboard setting. (That's where it is now and I can hear it run when I press it)

If I press it to go to slalom there is no sound at all and the gauge doesn't move.

Any ideas before I dig in? Broken wire in the throttle? (I've had that experience before when the throttle came loose, althought it's not loose now)

Also, related, before it stopped working, I noticed that sometimes the rocker switch would "jam" when being pressed toward slalom. So it would go to slalom and then the motor would continue to run for some time as the engine noise would keep me from hearing it to correct it. What happens if the motor runs for several minutes? Would it "go out"?

I'm running a 2003 22v

Thoughts? Thanks!

Mike
    Last edited by mjirving; 07-23-2007, 02:43 PM. Reason: More info

Michele

Sounds like I have the same problem. The top of my throttle is loose and will not tighten in the correct position, so I assume some of the wiring has been chafed from the turning. Now the taps is stuck on 5. Looks like it is going to be a long weekend with relatives and guests if I can't get it fixed. Tige dealers are way far away......aren't they always?

Comment

could it be a loose connection?
      Everything happens for a reason
      I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

I have since then figured out my problem. The "brain" is shot. This is the module mounted up under the dash with all the small wires going to it.

If your "knob" on the top of the throttle is loose, there is a set screw that holds that in place that you can tighten in the knob. If you want to look at the wires, loosen the set screw and pull out the rocker switch from the throttle know with your finger nails. It just pops right out. you can then unscrew the throttle knob. If the whole throttle assemble is loose, there's anothter set screw under the base of the throttle arm. Mine came loose once before and it swung like a pendulum and broke the wires. If this comes loose, get some blue Loctite(R) from Home Depot/Lowes and put some on the threads and tighten it up so it doesn't come loose again.

I've been told that the rocker switch can go bad, so you can Short the outside and then the inside post on the switch where the wires are soldered to the middle post to test Taps each way. If it works, then you're lucky and it's just a new $.99 rocker switch from Radio Shack. If not, (and the wires look good) then it's probably a $300 brain.

Good luck and let me know how it shakes out.

Mike

Comment

Man I hope mine isnt the brain
          Everything happens for a reason
          I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

Yea I had my brain go out as well. It was a total of over $500 to get it fixed parts and labor.

I am trying to get the part paid for under warranty but have been struggling. Tige will only waranty the part for one year. Then it is covered under the manufacturer for 2 years. So you get a total of 3 years for that part if you bought your boat new and its is still less than 3 years old you should be able to get it fixed.

I have the the phone # for Lenco the manufacturer of the brains for the taps if anybody needs it. The guy I dealt with was pretty nice but they seem a bit hesitant to do warranty work.

Comment

That's when it's time to wire in your own a different way. $500????? Wow.
              http://www.wakeboatworld.com
              []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by five o'clock View Post

I am trying to get the part paid for under warranty but have been struggling. Tige will only warranty the part for one year. Then it is covered under the manufacturer for 2 years. So you get a total of 3 years for that part if you bought your boat new and its is still less than 3 years old you should be able to get it fixed.

Wow, most warranties run concurrent, so at the end of the day, you only get the two years because they both start at the in service date.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Update: Lenco the manufacturer of the brain box for the TAPS system warrantied the part so Wakeboard and Waterski Specialty refunded the cost of the part. It was $255 so it is all taken care of right now and I am happy again!

WWS again did a great job and stood behind their word and gave me the refund after we went round and round with Lenco.

Comment

Glad to hear it worked out!
                    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                      X