Navigation lights not working??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navigation lights not working??

I have a 2000 21i and am having problems with my front navigation lights, as in when I hit the switch to turn them on, they don't work. However, the stern light works fine when I turn on the "ANC" switch. To start with, I replaced the two front bulbs and that didn't fix my problem. I'm not very electrical oriented, so I'm not sure what my next step would be to fix the problem. Is there a fuse box so to speak on these boats similar to that of one in a vehicle? If so, where is it located? Also, could the actual "NAV" switch have gone bad or could there be a wiring problem? I am hard pressed to think the wiring is bad, as they both suddenly stopped working, which leads me to believe I have a shot fuse. Any help would be appreciated.

I am attaching a picture of my dash. Starting from the right side, the switches go "HORN" > "ANC" > "NAV" > "ACC 3" > "ACC 2" > "ACC 1"

Thanks!

- Jason

Picture of dash...

Adding picture of the dash...
    Attached Files

Comment

Have you tried resetting the circuit breaker immediately below the switch? Also, if you look under the dash, you'll see how the switches are powered. Older models sometimes have push-on connecters, so it's possible that the connector became disconnected.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

the switch itself might be bad. I've had this problem and currently trying to fix by replacing fix. Will get to it this weekend. If you swap out the connectors to your accessory switch (ACC) you can tell. Just be sure the ACC is uses the same amperage. breakers should show the amperage.

Comment

He told me the light on the switch comes on, so I don't think that's it.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by Dynom8 View Post
            I have a 2000 21i and am having problems with my front navigation lights, as in when I hit the switch to turn them on, they don't work. However, the stern light works fine when I turn on the "ANC" switch. To start with, I replaced the two front bulbs and that didn't fix my problem. I'm not very electrical oriented, so I'm not sure what my next step would be to fix the problem. Is there a fuse box so to speak on these boats similar to that of one in a vehicle? If so, where is it located? Also, could the actual "NAV" switch have gone bad or could there be a wiring problem? I am hard pressed to think the wiring is bad, as they both suddenly stopped working, which leads me to believe I have a shot fuse. Any help would be appreciated.

I am attaching a picture of my dash. Starting from the right side, the switches go "HORN" > "ANC" > "NAV" > "ACC 3" > "ACC 2" > "ACC 1"

Thanks!

- Jason
            Help me clearify this..... you have an anchor light just for the 360* stern lamp AND a Nav light switch that turns on the red/green lamp and the 360* Stern? 2 switches, correct?

If so, does the stern lamp come on when you turn the NAV lights on? You state that the stern lamp works when the ANC switch is on, but you dont say whether or not it works when the NAV switch is on.

If the stern lamp works when the NAV switch is on, then the problem will be between the switch and the front nav lights.

If the stern DOES NOT work when the Nav switch is on, sounds like the switch does not have power.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Looks like it was a bad connection...I pulled to the switch out and made sure the connections were secure. When I put the NAV switch back in the dash, the front lights worked again. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Did you have the push-on connectors? I had my head unit stop working over the weekend. I pulled and resecured the connections and everything was working.

Comment

Yep - push on connectors. I think the connection became unseated after running through some chop for an extended amount of time while I was out recently. Turned out it was a pretty simple problem, but things like this tend to drive me crazy!

Comment

Ok, just know they will probably become unseated again. My dealer suggested I replace them with ring-type connectors during the off-season. Probably not a bad idea.

Comment

If the switches have push on connectors there probably aren't holes for the screws to use ring type connectors. On our boat the wiring harness behind the dash is not adequately supported and going thru some chop would cause the harness to bounce and pull on the connectors. I don't think a push on connector by itself would fall off without help if it's gripping ok when installed. I added some wire wrap tie pad mounts (Home Depot) and supported the harness with 3 tie wraps.

Comment

Working...
                      X