My guages are Jacked Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guages are Jacked Up!

Well, I should have checked better before signing the papers. I noticed today on my first outing that several of my guages aren't working.

The fuel guage periodically swings all the way to full, then back down to empty where it sits, then back to full, then later in the day it only went to like 15%, but I know I had more gas than this.

The Temp guage never budged until later. I was quite worried but I checked and the motor was full of water. Later in the day it jumped a dozen times or so to about 160 degrees or so, but never sat there. Usually stayed at zero.

The oil guage stays on 20. Engine on, engine off, high rpm, low rpms, it never moves! Man that one is worrying me.

Im the type of guy that checks the guages periodically to make sure everything is running well. Any ideas what might be the problems here?

I guess I will take it back but shoot, hate to have to wait to get it fixed when i might be aboe to do it myself.

I am sorry to hear about this type of issue. I would think that it might have been detected at the factory or at the dealer prior to the sale. The dealer is supposed to do a full on water inspection.

The gas guage does not surprise me. Boat gas guages always are unreliable. It seems the long flat tank in the boat has a hard time maintaining the float a a consistent level. It still is a little concerning that it holds on empty.

I would ask the dealer if any DIY work you do might void warranty issues down the road. If you fix it and then a related part breaks later, what will they say?
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Just took delivery of my '07 22Vé and took it out for the first time today and my gas gauge doesn't work either. Filled the tank w/ about 25 gallons and it never rose off of EMPTY.. If I'm not mistaken a lot of people have been having this problem. Anyone find any fixes?
      If you ain't falling.. you ain't trying hard enough..

Comment

Originally posted by Loudspeakerdj View Post
        Well, I should have checked better before signing the papers. I noticed today on my first outing that several of my guages aren't working.

The fuel guage periodically swings all the way to full, then back down to empty where it sits, then back to full, then later in the day it only went to like 15%, but I know I had more gas than this.

The Temp guage never budged until later. I was quite worried but I checked and the motor was full of water. Later in the day it jumped a dozen times or so to about 160 degrees or so, but never sat there. Usually stayed at zero.

The oil guage stays on 20. Engine on, engine off, high rpm, low rpms, it never moves! Man that one is worrying me.

Im the type of guy that checks the guages periodically to make sure everything is running well. Any ideas what might be the problems here?

I guess I will take it back but shoot, hate to have to wait to get it fixed when i might be aboe to do it myself.

If more than 1 gauge is inop, I would first check the connections on the power from the key switch to the gauge cluster.

Today 11:07 PM
        wakeboarder247 Just took delivery of my '07 22Vé and took it out for the first time today and my gas gauge doesn't work either. Filled the tank w/ about 25 gallons and it never rose off of EMPTY.. If I'm not mistaken a lot of people have been having this problem. Anyone find any fixes?
        247, May sound stupid, but tap on the gauge with your nuckle, the gas gauge needle on my 06 sometimes wants to stick on empty when I shut the key of. Other than that, I bet your 07 fuel level sending unit will be very accurate. I had a new one installed in Feb. and works purfect. (as boats go)
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion chpthril. Unfortunately we did try tapping on the gauge a few times today and nothing happened. It's going back to the dealer in a few weeks anyways to get the two West Coast decals replaced b/c they got messed up in transit so the dealer is gonna check out the fuel gauge too. I was just trying to see if anyone had a quick fix. (like a quick knuckle tap) And ya I heard that the fuel sending unit on the '07s is pretty darn accurate. I'm excited about that b/c the fuel gauge on my '95 Tige was way off.

Comment

Originally posted by wakeboarder247 View Post
            Thanks for the suggestion chpthril. Unfortunately we did try tapping on the gauge a few times today and nothing happened. It's going back to the dealer in a few weeks anyways to get the two West Coast decals replaced b/c they got messed up in transit so the dealer is gonna check out the fuel gauge too. I was just trying to see if anyone had a quick fix. (like a quick knuckle tap) And ya I heard that the fuel sending unit on the '07s is pretty darn accurate. I'm excited about that b/c the fuel gauge on my '95 Tige was way off.
            If you lay on the floor, look up behing the cluster with a flash light, you should see the backs of all the gauges. Find the fuel gauge and check all the connections. I think there are 3 wires, 1 for light, 1 for power, 1 ground (signal from tank) not sure of colors thou.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for info! I will check tomorrow when I get some sunlight. So I take it your gas gauge and new fuel sending unit are working very accurately since you had it fixed.. right? How is the accuracy?

Comment

I guess I should have mentioned my boat is new to me but used. It's a 02 21i.

Comment

The gas guage is a problem on most boats, ours always reads low. It will be at full for a while then it will start to drop fast to empty. We have never put more than 25 gallons in the tank(36gal).

The temp guage is a problem although if the engine overheats you wont need a guage to tell you.

Oil guage you probably want to look into getting fixed. I would start by checking all the wires to all the guages and see if that helps.
                  Common Sense is not so Common
                  Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Originally posted by zad0030 View Post

Oil guage you probably want to look into getting fixed. I would start by checking all the wires to all the guages and see if that helps.
                    I took a look under the dash and everything is tight as can be. Where on the motor are the water and oil pressure sensors? I think the water temperature in on the top front where the water hoses connect to the intake manifold. I have looked everywhere for the oil with no luck.

Is there a way to tell if the guages are broken?

Is there a way to see if they are getting a signal per say from the motor?
                    Perhaps a volt meter or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Loudspeakerdj View Post
                      I guess I should have mentioned my boat is new to me but used. It's a 02 21i.
                      There's a couple of fuses right near your ignition that, if blown, will render your gauges inoperable. They're inline fuses (BUS I think).
                      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I was having problems with my gauges due to poor grounding. Make sure your ground wire is making a good connection.

Comment

Man I cant believe how many of us are having trouble with gages, especially gas gages. There are a bunch of different threads here talking about gas gage issues. Hopefully tige' is listening, reading, etc. For some of you with some older boats I have heard that the advent of blended fuels is causing a bunch of problems. The ethanol blend in gas has some pretty adverse corrosive effects on sending unit cards and metals used on different componentsin the fuel systems.
                          I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Comment

Originally posted by scoot18 View Post
                            There are a bunch of different threads here talking about gas gage issues. Hopefully tige' is listening...
                            That's what I'm saying!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scoot18 View Post
                              Man I cant believe how many of us are having trouble with gages, especially gas gages. There are a bunch of different threads here talking about gas gage issues. Hopefully tige' is listening, reading, etc. For some of you with some older boats I have heard that the advent of blended fuels is causing a bunch of problems. The ethanol blend in gas has some pretty adverse corrosive effects on sending unit cards and metals used on different componentsin the fuel systems.
                              Interesting. Just for the record, mine's been working since day 1.

I did hear that in recent years, the manufacturers of the tanks have included integrated sending units and that there's been a rash of issues across all manufacturers, specifically with sending units.
                              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Working...
                              X