Speedometer and Oil Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer and Oil Gauge

I took my boat in for the annual service/winterization and told them my Oil gauge was acting up intermittently. He said they replaced it. I went out on Sunday and my speedometer which was working no longer moves and the oil gauge is acting the same as it did previously. I guess my question for you is...if I take it back to them is it fair for them to charge me labor? It's been 3 months so I don't know my "statute of limitations" are from the original service I payed for.
    "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
    "the plural of boo is booze."

The way i look at it , based on 17yrs in the auto service biz, you are only obligated to pay for what actualy fixes your complaint. Any parts/labor that you have paid for, that did not correct the problem, should be applied to the cost of the correct repair.

I would not return with my "gunz a blazin" but sit down with the Service Manager and Tech and go over what they found, what they did, and what there next move will be. Let them fix the boat to your satisfaction. When all the new and original complaints are fixed, then sit back down withe Service Manager and come to a compromise with the bill.

Having been both a Tech and Manager, let me say that we do make mistakes and miss diagnosis. But it's how we handle it when a customer has to return is what sets us a part from the rest. Good luck, keep us posted.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I know that when you can’t duplicate conditions it is very hard to diagnose and I'm not doubting that it would get resolved I was just curious what the consensus was. If it was going to cost me another $200 I would probably just live with it until next scheduled service since I have the Perfect Pass speedo.

Comment

I went without a working speedo on our old FourWinns for 3 yrs due to a bad VDO cluster ($600 ) so no big deal, but an oil gauge acting up, get it fixed. Unless they put in a manual test gauge and verified good oil pressure from the engine and bad sending unit or gauge, then you will never know if the gauge is telling the truth or lying to you
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Got two videos, the speedo one doesn't show much except that it isn't working. BTW, it was a little bumpy that day but it is also pretty hard to drive and hold the camera at the same time, not sure how I got the second video so still.

OIL

Speedo

Comment

Oil looks like a sender or a loose connection.....Speedo???? Are your speedos on pitot, or paddle wheels/senders?
            http://www.wakeboatworld.com
            []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
              Are your speedos on pitot, or paddle wheels/senders?

I must admit I have no idea. There is a wheel that is attached at the back of the boat on the starboard side that sits right above the bunk on the trailer. I'm not sure if that is for the perfect pass or the factory speedo.

Comment

That's probably your speedo paddle wheel. I "think" the perfect pass speedo is under the belly; but I really don't know. Maybe you have a connection issue. You might inspect the main harness connector near the engine, might have some corrosion. Might also check the connections on the back of the instruments are solid and not loose. Most manufacturers recommend very low torque, finger tight, so it leaves the connectors a chance to make intermittent contact.
                http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

I'm a little embarassed. It appears the problem with the speedo is the paddle wheel on the back of the boat wasn't locked fully. When it is on the trailer the paddle wheel rests on the bunk and must have gotten bumped. Oh well, it's all good now. The oil pressure still needs to be looked at.

Comment

evilOne: I had a similar problem with my previous inboard (not a Tige). The connector on the end of the wire that connects to the oil pressure sending unit was a little worn and would not make a good connection when attached. Anytime we would pass through fairly rough water my oil pressure gauge would read ZERO or bounce around, I would shut the engine off and check the wire on the sending unit..... sure enough it had fallen off or was not making a good connection. I replaced the connector with a new one and all was good. If it is not a simple loose wire at the sending unit or gauge I would bet it's a faulty sending unit.

Comment

Working...
                    X