Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

But I want to use my glove box for er... Gloves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But I want to use my glove box for er... Gloves?

I notice that the factory installation of the clarion stereo is always in the glove box. I am thinking of installing a new Sony stereo in my 2002 21i.(ordered with none) Looking for the best place for it, but the glove box seems kind of a waste of the glove box, besides I don't like the idea of having to move around all my crap to get to the stereo. I was thinking about putting it on the driverside in a waterproof enclosure in that plate that looks the perfect size for a stereo. Has anybody tried this? Does it fit ok, Then I think I'll put a remote near the glove box and one on the transom. Any and all advice appreaciated.

i don' t know about yours but i have a remote mounted next to the steering wheel, it rocks. came with my clarion.

Comment

My Sony head unit is mounted on the driver's dash on that panel you are talking about. It is a fine location. I then put a remote on the transom, and the head unit came with a IR remote for the passengers to use. The only thing to remember when putting the stereo on the driver's side is to buy a waterproof enclosure for the stereo. I would also suggest going on E bay or finding a website who is closing out the cdx MP70 or cdx MP80 sony head unit. These have the best shock trays for CD's and also play MP3 disks plus easy to plug in auxilliary ports for Satellite or MP3 players. These are being phased out this year, and may be hard to find, but for boats are the best units from Sony.
      I will post photos later tonight when I get a chance to to snap a few shots.

Comment

Hey thanks alot for the replies. I bought a great spring loaded enclosure for the front panel at west marine, I'll get some pics when I get a chance. But what do you do about the rear? What do you use to waterproof it? Don't want a water fight to go bad...really bad!

Comment

Rear? behind the dash on the backside of the radio? I wouldnt think you really have to worry about that.

Comment

I think it needs something to keep it out of the weather because it is right at knee height, just barely under the dash. One stay water ballon and poof! I was thinking a bent sheet of stainless or something, has anyone seen something like that?

Oh yeah want to see a great stereo enclosure and some awesome speaker grills check this out.... a bit pricey tho!

http://www.wizardbillet.com

Comment

Here is a cover rom West Marine.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...156&storeNum=3

Comment

here is another Cover

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...156&storeNum=3
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's another little Idea that works like a charm...

Go to wal-mart into the material section and buy some of that vinyl furniture covering material. (You know that crap your grandma has on the couch!) Use a seal a meal or one of those professional bag sealers to enclose your Infared remote in a vinyl suit of armor. And now you have a water proof remote control! Works great for other stuff to, like registration...

Comment

as far as the stray water ballon, check flackpack's first web site. there's a radio box at the top that can be mounted and sealed with silicone. if not might try a box made of styrene (insulation foam for A/Cs), the black foil type held with finishing nails while the silicone glue drys would work.

Comment

Working...
                    X