Rear View Camera - Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear View Camera - Suggestions

I have a 2013 Z3 with Tige Touch Version one and I can hook up Video to port 2. I do not want to install the Go Pro to the tower, already have that but want a normal et al back up camera that you normally see on cars or some thing close to what Tige' is installing on the boats now as an option. I do want to go thru the Tige' Touch I screen. I would like to flush mount of one of the smaller surface mount that you have have to still mount but my extend out just a bit. I want to do this myself, not dealer install.

Has any one done this and would appropriate any particular camera for clear and angle view. Of course I will have to get back to RCA connection. I would power any time the boat power is on.

Thanks

I installed a great little camera last spring in the rub rail emblem on my ‘14. It took about an hour and was very simple. I can get the mfg info on Tuesday. It does not record, it is just a rear view camera. You do have to drill a hole through the hull, but it was not difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianrzr View Post
      I installed a great little camera last spring in the rub rail emblem on my ‘14. It took about an hour and was very simple. I can get the mfg info on Tuesday. It does not record, it is just a rear view camera. You do have to drill a hole through the hull, but it was not difficult.
      Thank you, I will be looking forward to your reply

Comment

BEEBF5B2-4CF6-4AB0-AD4D-87DAAE510842.jpg

I hope a picture is attached, I can’t tell. I actually still have the box, it is a “Voyager “ part number VCMSYL501L. It is from ASA Electronics. The photo shows mounted in the center cover of rub rail. The decorative foil peels off exposing the two mounting screws. As I understand it, the fouls are available from Tige, I just haven’t replaced it yet. If the photo doesnt load or you want more details PM me.

Comment

Back when we first got our 2009 24Ve, I bought an aftermarket backup camera (meant for a car) and mounted it to the tower with a piece of plexiglas that I bent about 90 degrees using a heat gun. Screw hole on one side for mounting, bigger hole on the other side for the (round) camera. I just screwed it into one of the unused threaded speaker mounting holes on the Alpha tower, right above the driver's seat. Ran the wires through the tower. It almost looks factory and I used to get all sorts of positive comments about it until rear view cameras became "normal" a couple of years ago.

Just pointing out that you don't have to use, nor pay for, exotic hardware to get what you're looking for. I think this camera cost something like $30 new on eBay.

EDIT: Woohoo, I found a photo. I don't think the wire was fished through the tower yet, but you can see how the camera is mounted with a small piece of plexiglas.

Last edited by IDBoating; 09-04-2019, 09:45 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]51520[/ATTACH]

I hope a picture is attached, I can’t tell. I actually still have the box, it is a “Voyager “ part number VCMSYL501L. It is from ASA Electronics. The photo shows mounted in the center cover of rub rail. The decorative foil peels off exposing the two mounting screws. As I understand it, the fouls are available from Tige, I just haven’t replaced it yet. If the photo doesnt load or you want more details PM me.
            Same camera that is used today at the factory. Good choice
            Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions, and on the 2013 Z3, it does not have the center cover of rub rail but that's not a problem, I will just mount it right below the rail.

As per the part number, I can't get it to come up at ASA website. I will give them a call directly instead.

Thanks

Comment

What other wiring was involved to get it hooked up? Hard to tell what is included with the camera from the Voyager site.

Comment

C872CAE4-9FFF-43BE-8D79-023DBBDF96AF.jpg

I attached a picture of the box, I hope the numbers help. It requires a separate cable. It is a single 6-pin on the camera end I believe. Helm end has the power and ground and RCA. RCA gets plunged into the blue box, and I wired the power to my key. When my engine is running, the camera is on, however the video screen only displays when option is selected of course.

Comment

1E3F20AE-1F5B-46C4-9156-65C409E3D073.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like one of these is needed https://voyagercameras.com/voyager-camera-connector , along with the appropriate sized extension cable.

Comment

Is anyone in this thread still active? I can find that part number camera available still but not sure it comes with the bracket to mount it in. my 13 does not have the bracket on it. Can anyone advise?
                        2005 Tige 24V Limited
                        Fort Wayne, IN

Comment

You could always crank out a 3D printed bracket to fit whatever mounting arrangement you prefer. Does it have to be some special camera? If the video input is standard composite video (RCA connector) you could get any generic camera and make a mount for it.

Comment

Working...
                          X