subwoofer thump when adjusting the TAPs up/down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

subwoofer thump when adjusting the TAPs up/down

Hello - I have a new-to-me 2007 22ve and noticed that the subwoofer thumps pretty loudly when adjusting the TAPs up or down.

Is this a common thing? Any thoughts on how to get rid of the thump? If I remember right, the sub gain knob is turned up about 1/3 of the way.

This is a tough one. May have to re route your RCA cables for the sub amp. Check the ground wire from that amp and see where it goes, ideally it's grounded to the battery or possibly to a ground distribution block with the other amps.

Comment

Heres a thread regarding a pair of CAPs to the TAPS wiring to ground the pop.

In addition to this, where is the woofer amp located. Where is the B+ and B- terminated. Is the amp located under the helm, with long RCA runs to the helm? Are the amp cables connected somewhere other then the battery and main switch?
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks both!

I'll take a look at the wiring tonight. I believe there are two amps in the port side storage area directly below the stereo head unit, and the woofer is in the driver footwell area.

Comment

Update:
          I played around with the stereo a bit last night to try to troubleshoot. Here’s what I found:

The popping sound plays through all the speakers, not just the sub. (So probably rules out issues with RCA cord/routing?)
          The sound was present when I first turned the stereo on. Then I took a few minutes looking at sub/amp connections and when I returned to the TAPS switch I could not get the popping sound to repeat (thought I could hear some interference). I suspect the noise will return when I go back to the boat.

I did not have the boat engine running during this troubleshooting.

Side question: with the factory dual battery setup- am I correct to have the switch in the ‘all’ position all the time?

Comment

I think I found a work around.

The thump/popping was louder as the stereo volume increased. I found a setting in the stereo to increase the AUX level input up to +15dB. We use the AUX input primarily so increasing the input level allows for a lower stereo volume setting and the thumping is minimized but not gone.

Comment

with the factory dual battery setup- am I correct to have the switch in the ‘all’ position all the time?
              The factory 07 EIDB system sould have utilized an ON/OFF switch. If your boat has a 1/2/ALL/OFF switch, its ok to have the switch in ALL, except when anchored.

The sound was present when I first turned the stereo on
              SO there is an initial pop/thump when the stereo is first turned on? This point to a likely mis-wired system.

I found a setting in the stereo to increase the AUX level input up to +15dB.
              Just note, this can increase distortion and reduce sound quality.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Sorry, I worded that wrong. The stereo does not make a thump when turned on. Only when releasing the TAPS switch.

Comment

Ok. Then I would proceed with the CAPs on the TAPS harness.

Comment

Thanks chpthril.

My searches are coming up empty. Do you have some more detail on the cap modification? Appreciate the help!

Comment

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...kers-with-taps

Sorry about that, I though I pasted the link earlier.

Comment

Great thank you!

Comment

Thanks for the help! I fixed my thump problem by putting a capacitor across the green and black wires coming off the trim control unit. This harness is under the dashboard area on my 07 22ve.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X