X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery recommendation

going to replace the starting and house battery for the 09 RZ2
    recommendations? connected via bluesea ACR

i dont have plan to use an onboard maintainer, but I might use a tender next winter
    2009 RZ2, factory ballast, 260 hours

A quality wet cell group-24 marine cranking is all that needed for the main cranking bank. The house bank can be dependent upon how the boat is used. I would at least consider upgrading to a group-29/31 deep cycle. This, and how you plan to use the boat, can also impact the need for an on-board charger. if you have a sizable house bank and spend lots of time ont he hook cranking tunes, you should install an appropriate size on-board charger.

I use Interstate and Shuriken in the shop.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

interstate deep cycle on the house battery. interstate cranking on the starting battery.
      that brand has never left me stranded but also had a charger on the last 2 boats. plug in once home and fully charged for each outing.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Why not a hybrid on the starter battery? Seems like something with some reserve is good given there may be random things pulling from it?

Also, how hard is it to move the ballast pumps to the house batteries vs the starting (since they are wired into the primary circuit panel, unlike the amps for stereo)

Comment

Nothing at all wrong with using a dual purpose on the cranking side, but I would favor the one with the higher CA over RC if there is a wide gap between the CA of the standard marine cranking and a DP.

On your 07, the helm BUS is supplied through a breaker mounted on the transom, and should be wired through house bank. The ballast pumps should then draw through the house bank. Here is a test. remove the house bank battery B+ cables and safely set them aside. Turn the key on or things like blower, bilge and NAV lights. They should not come on. Now, try and crank the engine. It should crank.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Interstate - My last set lasted 7 years.

Comment

Another vote for Interstate. I just replaced my two factory originals after NINE years of flawless service. The only reason I even bothered was preventive, nine years is a long time on occasional use lead acid batteries. I purchased the exact same model, a marine-specific Group 24, direct from Interstate's own local distribution hub. I asked about the date code on the batteries I was receiving, worried that since these are application specific I didn't want a couple of units that had been sitting around for a long time. They replied that they go through a pallet of that model EVERY WEEK! Yowza!

Comment

Costco Kirkland brand is known to be made by Interstate. That's what I use. Never an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                  Costco Kirkland brand is known to be made by Interstate. That's what I use. Never an issue.
                  True, and I went there first, but (at least our) Costco doesn't carry the marine version that we were replacing. Hence the trip to Interstate's own facility. I agree it would have been nice to grab them at Costco. We do buy our other vehicle batteries there.

Comment

Originally posted by IDBoating View Post
                    True, and I went there first, but (at least our) Costco doesn't carry the marine version that we were replacing. Hence the trip to Interstate's own facility. I agree it would have been nice to grab them at Costco. We do buy our other vehicle batteries there.
                    Interesting. It must just be that certain type as I was able to get one that fit my boat fine (as well as my RV).

Comment

Oh, Costco had Group 24 batteries that would fit. But not with the dual purpose marine terminals (my 24Ve uses both the post and the threaded stud on both terminals) and not with the extreme marine CCA rating that matched the existing batteries.

Comment

I checked - The Costco here in Texas has Group 24 Marines from Interstate. Not Kirkland branded. It depends on where you go.

I'd pick one up for you and ship it, but it's probably an illegal and not cost effective

Comment

Costco is a big regional like that. Even one city over, their stores carry different things than our local one.

Sure wish they'd bring back those hand-dipped ice cream bars in the food court. Even at double their previous price. One of those and a sausage was about the best five buck lunch you could get. Ah, memories....

Comment

Working...
                          X