Amp problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp problems

i''ve been having some trouble with my Clarion amp lately. It's the 2 channel that runs the 4 speakers in the interior of my 2003 21i-R.

I'm somewhat of a stereo guy myself so i can only think of a few things that might be causing my woes. Just wanted some feedback or maybe other thoughts to help me trouble shoot this.

The Problem:

First, just recently, within the past few months my battery has been drained while sitting over a week. This has not been a problem until recently. I charge it up for 5 minutes on the jumper cables, and i'm good to go all day after that, no problems.

Second, the amp light is on, but no power/signal is getting to the speakers. We know the radio is working, as it powers the 2 front bow speakers and we can hear them fine. After a few hours, or sometimes even just 30 minutes, the Clarion amp will come on. It would stay on the rest of the day....until this past saturday, it would be on and off intermittantly. So we just turned off the radio completely as it would just frustrate everyone. The temp on the amp seemed to be fine, warm to the touch which is normal... We tried it again sunday, and it would not come on at all.

MY guesses:

i'm thinking that possible a speaker or something is damp or wet and is cuasing a short, thus keeping the amp from coming on. I'm guessing it would also drain the battery while sitting over the week since the short is not drying up.

Who installs the stereo systems? This is the "stock" clarion setup that came in my 2003 21i-R. Just looking for places i could look or troubleshooting help.

thanks!

I would recommend testing it in a different environment. Do you have an amp in your car/truck you can swap this one out with? If not I would take it up to a car stereo shop and have them test it. Most places will do it for free. Or you can come up to Dallas and we can throw it in my boat to see if it works.

I was having the same problem with an eclipse amp I have. I turns out, it wasn't getting enough voltage. Combo of POS battery, and bad wiring job. I got two Optima blue tops and ran some nice 4ga wire to it and it works fine.

-Hanz

Comment

i don't think it's a power problem (it has worked fine earlier this year, and works if and when it stays on), i'm focusing more and more on a short of some kind due to moister. i'd rather not have to take out the amp, but i'll most likely disconnect the speakers and test everything with my ohm meter, etc.

Comment

radio

I have a similiar problem....there are 2 aux rca plugs that I connected to tha amp and it now works. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the clarion? I could not find it on thier website. Also, my radio will not keep stations in memory after I turnoff the batt switch....

Rags

Comment

Ive got the same problem with everything you all have said . Help needed
          www.dallaswakeboarding.com

Comment

We had that problem with some Clarion amps last year and had to replace them. The amps have a two year warranty from date of purchase if installed at the factory so have your dealer get you a replacement.

Comment

Working...
            X