Fuel Pump Relay Issue - 2003 21'V Riders Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pump Relay Issue - 2003 21'V Riders Edition

I have a 2003 21' V Riders Edition. We spent this past week at the river and I had a problem starting the boat every day.

We first notice the issue with the boat starting a couple months back when we did the service, it would not start. The engine was trying to turn over and I know it was getting air, so the next check was fuel. I start at the fuel pump to see if it was working. We loosened the nut on the pump and nothing was coming out. After switching the two relays at the top of the engine, we checked for power at the pump and we were getting 12 volts. We put everything back together and it start right up. Not sure what we did, but it worked...?

Now we fast forward to the last week. The boat start the first day right off the trailer, ran all day and no issues. Next day, after sitting in the water all night, the boat would not start. So, I started doing what we did last time. I switched the two relays. Nothing. I grabbed my volt meter to check for 12 volts and with the pump wires disconnected to the pump, we checked for 12 V on the line side, turned over the engine, and it started right up. Not sure how it started with the pump disconnected, but it did. Maybe left over fuel in the system? I don't know. Quickly plugged the pump back in and it ran all day with no issues.

Day 3 - It would not start in the morning again. This time I skipped switching the relays and went straight to checking it with the volt meter. Sure enough, it starting right up again with out the pump connected. Very strange.

Day 4 - It started right up in the morning. I love electrical problems!!!

Day 5 - Not working again. I try the volt meter trick and nothing. Hmmm. Then I took one of my Tracball scoops and I tapped the top of the two relays. Started right up.

I just finished reading all the other similar posts. I am pretty sure it is not the 3 small fuses since I can get it to fire up each day. I am 99% sure that my relays are sticking. I would just like confirmation from some of the experts on here. I have no idea how hooking up the volt meter is "unsticking" the relay, and I also have no idea how it is starting without the pump connected.

So here are my 3 questions:

1. I am pretty sure I should start by replacing the relays as it is pretty clear they are sticking, correct?
    2. How is the boat starting without the fuel pump connected?
    3. How is hooking up the volt meter to the line side unsticking the relay?
    RVD

Update: 8/15/18
    I talked to my Mechanic and he also advised to replace both the relays on top of the engine. I replaced both of them and it appears to have resolved the problem. We ran the boat 3 days in a row and it started every day without issue. I also talked to him about how the boat was starting when the fuel pump was disconnected. He asked which pump I disconnected? I said the long silver one next to the fuel filter. He then informed me that the 2003's have 2 fuel pumps. The secondary one I disconnected and a primary pump down further in the back of the boat. That explains how the boat was start without the (secondary) pump connected.

I hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.
    RVD

Comment

Working...
    X