Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connected Battery with reverse polarity - Brain Cramp - What Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connected Battery with reverse polarity - Brain Cramp - What Next?

Had a brain cramp and accidently connected one of my two batteries with reverse polarity when getting the boat (2005 22i) ready to use for the summer. When I turned on the Perko switch, wires under the dashboard started smoking pretty good until I realized what was going on and disconnected the batteries. Visible damage was to two wires going to the mounted circuit board under the dash. Wires were fried from about an inch from the point they connected to the board out about 12 inches. I spliced in some new wires, but no luck. Board probably fried? Was hoping at least the engine would start even if the dash wouldn't work. Once the batteries were connected correctly and turned the Perko on, got a constant alarm sound from the dash. Tried to start the engine anyways....nothing...no attempt to crank. Fried Alternator as well? Going to take it in, but thought I'd check here in case there was anything more I could try or look at ahead of that...since the earliest I could get anyone to look at it is a few weeks from now.

Grab a volt meter from the hardware or auto parts store. Likely a tripped breaker or blown fuse(s) but the meter will help you finding where voltage stops, without guessing. Take it a step at a time. get the helm to power, get the starter to crank, get the engine to run, test the alternator.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Update: So at this point, the damage done is the starter fuse blown, the Taps control board fried, and some of the dashboard gauges not working. The good news is the boat now starts and runs with the replacement of the starter fuse. The bad news is not sure if it is possible to get a replacement board for Taps (circa 2005) or replacement gauges (volt and speedometer).

Comment

You should be able to get the gauges. Does the boat have a bennett (hydraulic) center taps or is it Lenco? We went back to Bennett late that year and yours could be bennett. If its the bennett system, it will be easy to convert the old circuit board to a relay system.
        Oh Yeah!

Comment

odd for a mechanical/analog gauge to fry, like the volt meter. Id dig a littler deeper with a volt meter and test at the back of the volt gauge and speedo.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

There are no markings or label on the cylinder. How can I tell which it is?

Comment

IMG_0351.jpg

Comment

Does this picture help? Or do I need to look for markings on the fried circuit board?

Comment

That would be a Lenco. Usually had a small box that is the module. Getting replacements is possible. though I've found it to be a PITA and not cheap. As long as the actuators not toast it can totally be rewired with basic components. I have done it for one customer that wanted to go the cheap route. He has never complained, though there was some learning curve for learning when to let go of the momentary switch or the fuse I installed would blow at the end of travel(located the fuse in an easy to get to inline fuse holder under helm and gave him a handful of extras, knew it would happen until he got used to new setup).

Comment

A buddy of mine bought his 2005 22v with the same problem (previous owner did the same thing) There were a lot of blown fuses tracked them with a DVOM like mike said. Most every thing was fuse protected. Did have to put a new ignition coil on it. It was hard to find all them some were inline. Good luck

Comment

http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php...ategory_id=324
                      I think yours is the 30243-002D which would be for the 2.25" stroke actuator. Main item with the box is that it gives the gauge functionality.

Or go with one of these:
                      http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php...ingle-actuator
                      Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                      X