Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'13 Z3 Secondary Ground Cable

Hey guys and gals -

Stock dual battery setup on our 2013 Z3. Prior to winter, I took pics of the battery wiring, zip tied the cables and pulled the batteries out to put on the charger/tender. Today, while working in the rear locker, I noticed a large ground wire (with a 'clamp' connector and rubber hood on the end) labeled "Secondary Ground" that I cannot find in my pics. I'm second guessing myself as to if I unwired this cable (and then took pics), or if it was never hooked up to begin with? I don't recall any battery messages or any issues with the house/crank/isolator switch this past summer.

Can someone check my sanity and tell me where this wire should be put back on? (First 4 pics are upside down for some reason?)

IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg

Secondary Ground cable (not connected in any of pics)
    IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!

With a top post clamp end, theres only one place it can go, and thats to a battery. Where does the other end of it, end up? Does it end up ground to the engine. Could be direct or indirect, but a ground path to the engine none the less.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      With a top post clamp end, theres only one place it can go, and thats to a battery. Where does the other end of it, end up? Does it end up ground to the engine. Could be direct or indirect, but a ground path to the engine none the less.
      Other end goes to a bus bar (last pic). Out of that same bus bar is a cable “Bus Bar to Starting Battery” along with another cable that says “Primary Isolator” ... and another that disappears into the side wall.

The large ground going to the engine appears to be directly connected to the starting battery terminal.

Sorry for the somewhat ignorant response. Electrical is not my thing. I took pics to replicate in the spring, but this new cable has me baffled. The Captain Obvious in me says that this wire needs to go to the secondary/house battery ground, but I just want to make sure
      Last edited by arohyans; 02-25-2018, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Hook it to the second battery.

Comment

definitely 2nd battery terminal, I cut that off and put a normal eye terminal on it, as the original was a real PITA to take off the battery with all the seaboard cover panels in place.

I just did a total reorganize and rewire of my 14 RZR.

While your back there, check all your connections to your breakers and ground buses, there is one up where the exhaust fan exits the boat. I found multiple loose nuts on the breakers and ground distribution blocks, even some loose nuts under the dash too on the ground distribution block. one so loose it was about to fall off.

Off topic.

But what lake do you boat on? im just south of Indianapolis.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by RZRindy; 02-25-2018, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RZRindy View Post
            definitely 2nd battery terminal, I cut that off and put a normal eye terminal on it, as the original was a real PITA to take off the battery with all the seaboard cover panels in place.

I just did a total reorganize and rewire of my 14 RZR.

While your back there, check all your connections to your breakers and ground buses, there is one up where the exhaust fan exits the boat. I found multiple loose nuts on the breakers and ground distribution blocks, even some loose nuts under the dash too on the ground distribution block. one so loose it was about to fall off.

Off topic.

But what lake do you boat on? im just south of Indianapolis.
            Thanks for the sanity check

We typically boat on Cataract out west... occasionally Raccoon, if Cataract is flooded early on the season. Also went to Monroe this last year while camping, but it’s just too choppy for us. How about you?

Comment

Originally posted by arohyans View Post
              Thanks for the sanity check

We typically boat on Cataract out west... occasionally Raccoon, if Cataract is flooded early on the season. Also went to Monroe this last year while camping, but it’s just too choppy for us. How about you?

Home lake is Sweetwater/Cordry......we do get down to Monroe a few times in the summer just to change it up a bit. Your right, on the weekends, Monroe is not fun, waaay to choppy. Weekdays are not so bad.

We do like to go to a new lake here and there, if I see a Z3 out there on Cataract ill flag you down

Comment

Originally posted by RZRindy View Post

Home lake is Sweetwater/Cordry......we do get down to Monroe a few times in the summer just to change it up a bit. Your right, on the weekends, Monroe is not fun, waaay to choppy. Weekdays are not so bad.

We do like to go to a new lake here and there, if I see a Z3 out there on Cataract ill flag you down
                Absolutely! Would love to make some new friends!

Comment

Working...
                X