Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar controller

Hey guys,
    Wanting to add solar and a controller to my camper. Curious if any knows if smart controllers can handle running two group 24s wired in parallel.
    Also if you were only running one controller for both batts it would seem like IF you ended up with a bad cell the controller would then be undercharging the good battery.
    Any input on solar panel and charger recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Morningstar Sunsaver Duo will do just that. It's meant for charging house batteries and engine bat separately.

I prefer victron units, my house and engine batteries are in parallel with a disconnect and a combiner.

Here's a link to my discussion on solar on my RV site.
    http://www.thegmcrv.com/project/electrical-part-2-solar

Comment

Actually scratch that the duo is not for batteries wired together, but separate systems. When wired together the controller will only see it as one big battery.
      So long as you keep them charged you shouldn't have to worry.
      I run 6v golf cart batteries in series and parallel and have no issues, most people (who know how to treat their batteries) run them for about 7-10 years then swap them out.

Comment

Thanks for the info. You are a busy beaver!! Didn't go thru your whole rv page but was stoked on what I saw. Doing a bunch of mods to my travel trailer before I'm skiing in it for winter. Upped our game last year to a 26' with slide. So nice. Now it's solar, inverter, lights, stereo, and little dog proofing projects. We travel with 3 big pooches.
        I ended up going with the Damlex 100w kit for now. Comes with controller good for 500w so can always add more panels. Mostly just wanting to tend batteries while in storage as I don't have room at my house for the trailer and be able to run my Honda a bit less when we aren't able to plug in.

Comment

Working...
        X