Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Added Ballast Kit, Now the radio desnt work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added Ballast Kit, Now the radio desnt work!

Hey Guys,

I recently added 2 Johnson pumps on my 2002 20V, when I ran the wires, and added on to the battery, my radio suddenly stopped working. I got the volt meter out and tested power from ground at 11-12V and 0 on the positive cable. I checked these right where the fuses are at conncecting to the head unit.

I have a single battery system, so I am wondering if the new auto ballast is drawing too much power. Would that cause the radio head unit to not turn on?

Thanks,

Chris

Im confused about the voltage readings, but you should have battery voltage on the head unit yellow and red when using the head unit chassis as your ground.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I dont recall the actual number read out for ground, however it was somewhere between 11-12V. But on the yellow wire, I got 0 on the read out. It seem like the auto ballast is now draining the battery, but I am not sure if its that, or a bad wire. Since the yellow wire had 0 volts.

Comment

Seems like it would have to be the ballast connections drawing power, the radio has never had a problem, and decided to stop working the day I installed the wiring for the ballast.

Comment

I dont recall the actual number read out for ground, however it was somewhere between 11-12V.
          positive voltage on the ground is an issue

But on the yellow wire, I got 0
          This is also an issue. should read same voltage as measured at battery.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I see. I will have to go back and re-test the wires. I beleive thats what it said on the positive. Any recommendations on how to trouble shoot? Do you think its the ballast electronics that I added draining the battery? Since its a single battery, and only had this problem once I added I was hoping this was the case, and not a failed wire that needs to be replaced.

Comment

Do you think its the ballast electronics that I added draining the battery?
              No, heres why. You are indicating that you are getting a voltage reading at the battery. If you have voltage in the battery, you will have voltage at the head unit. Should be the same voltage, but certainly not zero. Will the pumps drain the battery? Sure, if you run them long enough with the engine off.

Trouble shooting is a mater of determining with circuit does not have the proper voltage, including the ground which should have zero voltage which is a valid reading. The trace back to the source until you find where the voltage breaks.

Comment

Working...
              X