Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilge Pump Auto Fuse blowing?

Hello Folks,

I am having a hard time figuring out what could be causing the issue I have with my bilge pump automatic function.

The pump runs fine when operated via the dash switch, however I noticed yesterday while back there that the 5 amp fuse on the brown wire was blown. I remember replacing it recently (beginning of the season) when I did my pre-season checkup.

Any thoughts on what to look for and where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess not much experience here on this field?

I went back at it yesterday and wasn't able to isolate the issue. The pump runs fine on the main panel switch, but blows the fuse when I move the float up using the wheel on the back (pump is an Attwood 500 GPH).

I am down to two options:
    #1 - The switch inside the pump is bad... for some reason it is shorting when the float switch makes contact internally.

#2 - The wire with the fuse for the auto operation of the pump is pinched/shorted somewhere along the line...

I know how to test the first scenario, but have no idea how to isolate for the 2nd one. Thoughts anyone?

Comment

So guess what?

The genius that had installed the bilge pump from the very start, had connected the brown wire at the back of the boat, into the negative post on the starting battery... I was told by the Prior Owner that this had been an issue for ever for him, but I never imagined it would be something that simple, so I never looked at the most basic part of the issue.

Moved over to the positive side of the battery and replaced the fuse. Pump auto running. We are good.

Now, I can leave my dehumidifier running inside the boat all day and use the hose attachment to discharge directly into the hull. This, combined with a high volume fan and the cover on, gets my boat interior dry in one day... and I avoid any kind of mold/smell issues when I park it on the lift after the weekend.

Comment

Glad you found your problem. What fan and dehumidifier are you using? Considered using one or both after using the boat for the same reasons.

Comment

If it was a german car, brown would certainly go to the NEG post of the battery. Being a boat, brown is standard for a bilge circuit.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by Av8tor View Post
            Glad you found your problem. What fan and dehumidifier are you using? Considered using one or both after using the boat for the same reasons.
            Fan is a Lasko utility fan. Bought at Sam's Club last year for about $70 IIRC. Looks like this.

Dehumidifier is a DeLonghi 40 pint. It doesn't have a pump, but does have a gravity discharge to which I hook up a hose and route down to the bottom of the boat.

Here's a picture of one like it.

This combo works great for me.

Comment

Bilge Pump Auto Fuse blowing?

Originally posted by Ruleman View Post
              Fan is a Lasko utility fan. Bought at Sam's Club last year for about $70 IIRC. Looks like this.

Dehumidifier is a DeLonghi 40 pint. It doesn't have a pump, but does have a gravity discharge to which I hook up a hose and route down to the bottom of the boat.

Here's a picture of one like it.

This combo works great for me.

Great, thank you!
              Last edited by Av8tor; 07-11-2017, 02:44 AM. Reason: Forgot the quote in my reply

Comment

Working...
              X