Perfect Pass beeping and gauges cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect Pass beeping and gauges cutting out

So I was out on the lake yesterday and was really windy and choppy. I started to go out of no wake zone and PP kept beeping and restarting. I figured lose wires and bouncing around was the cause. About 10 minutes later my tach beeped real loud and turned completely off then back on. All while I was still going. The battery gauge also spiked at like 14. When I got to a smooth cove to check it out, all was fine. I did a wiggle test on all the wires under dash with no problems. Anybody have this happen to them before?

On a side note I had a similar experience when the battery switch was turned off while trying to go. The gauges didn't restart but PP made same noises.

Perfect pass malfunctions like you are describing has been an indication of a battery going bad. Also had an alarm simultaneously with one case.

Comment

I had a similar situation this summer on my 04 22V...when I checked the wires on the alternator, I found the "battery" wire was corroded, and making intermittent contact...until I pulled on it...then it broke off completely... after replacement all was good...I was thinking the intermittent contact was sending a voltage error to the alarm, and possibly tripping the perfect pass

Comment

Thanks for the input. I didn't look at the alternator contacts. I did switch between batteries to see if there was a low one but no luck. I will check the contacts and load test the batteries. I really hope it isn't bad batteries. I haven't had any problems with them not cranking and such all year. I had a feeling it was somewhere with the batts/charging system instead of PP being bad. That's why I added that last part.

Comment

also check your grounds. Perfect pass is really sensitive to a bad ground

Comment

Thanks topaz. I am going to get the boat today and check all my wires and grounds. I will report back if/when I figure it out.

Comment

So I checked everything. Batteries, wires, connections, alternator....I did find that the regulator connection had been spliced and looked like it could have arced on the motor mount. Went to reunion. The problem only happened once so I zip tied that wire away from mount bad didn't have a problem again.

Comment

Just want to preface this post with a sorry I am wrote a short story for you guys. I'm just trying to be as detailed as I can.

I am bringing this thread back to life because I am somewhat having the same issues. I thought I had everything fixed last year at the reunion, but the next time I took it out, I had the same issue. Shoulda known that a zip tying a wire away wasn't the answer. Anyways, figured out that the alternator was bad. Wasn't charging anymore. I replaced the alternator and tested it out, but didn't get to take it out on the lake again until this past weekend due to work keeping me out of town. While I was gone, I had the batteries in the garage with the tender connected. My wife took the boat to the mechanic and had him change oil and hook up the batteries and check everything out on it right before I got back. He told her everything checked out and he didn't find anything wrong with it.

OK, now I get the boat out there and over the weekend and run it around and didn't have "the beep" problem. We took it over and stopped at the beach for a couple hours and had the switch on one battery while listening to the radio, then tubed for a while and decided to go for a ride later in the day. Took about a 30 minute steady ride, got to the spot where we wanted to be and "the beep" and gauges start going nuts and motor dies. Battery gauge said 12 volts this whole time. Switched to combined, started it up and went home. I watched the volts, which I'm know not to fully trust, but didn't have a fluke on me to check batteries individually. When I was running, the gauge said 12 volts. I think I was running off the battery all day and my problem is the alternator. That at least gives me a clue that my battery isn't bad. Is there anything else I should look at? When I got home I checked the battery connections and all looked good and tight. Didn't see any random wires hanging around not connected. Please let me know what kind of ideas you guys might have as my problem. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I pulled the batteries over the weekend. I they were 12.5 and 12.7 after sitting for the week. I then took them to the local auto parts store and they tested good. I am leaning towards the alternator now, but I know it is new. When I replaced it at the end of the year, it worked and was charging. I will have to wait until next weekend to check alternator wires and test with engine running. Anybody have any other suggestions that I may be missing?

Comment

I am finally getting to the boat today and started it. Both batteries are sitting at 12.7 and 12.8. Start the boat no problem, but voltage gauge only says 12 while running. I check both batteries and they are at 13.3-13.4 while running. Check output on alternator and have 14 volts which is what I would expect. Am I missing something here?

On a side note, I turned the battery switch to both off (thats how I test alternators usually at work) and the engine kept running but the PP was beeping like crazy and the voltage gauge was spiking. Seriously, I need to know if there is a problem or I am going crazy. Thanks for any replies.

Comment

when you had it on combined were you still having any problems?

Comment

Sounds like a grounding issue.

Comment

Originally posted by tigemech View Post
                          when you had it on combined were you still having any problems?
                          I usually only run on one battery just in case I have any problems, I can switch to the other battery or combine. But to answer your question, No I didn't have any problems when I switched to combined and went back to dock.

Comment

Originally posted by Dieselbreath View Post
                            Sounds like a grounding issue.
                            I have checked all the wiring for voltage and multiple points for continuity. Checked all grounds for continuity off the batteries for sure.

Comment

how is your switch wired? you said you had 13.3-13.4 on both batteries while running, what position was the switch in?

Comment

Working...
                              X