Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead "brain" in my Tige 20i (2006)

Hi all,
    Yesterday I went to retrieve my boat from the dealer who I had paid to store my Tige 20i GM Vortex 5.7l 340hp (2006) for the winter. He was supposed to have this in warehouse storage, however, when I picked it up, it turned out that he had kept the boat outside all through a harsh winter because "it had a cover on it". This was my first annoyance. He then proceeded to tell me that there were 2 problems with the boat which means it cannot be used and probably for quite some time:

1) The steering cable needs replaced. He is quoting me £300 for the replacement part plus 2 or 3 hours of labour on top of this. I tried looking online and it seems that the steering cable is easily replaced so I would like to do this myself and I seem to have found steering cables fro around $150 which is much cheaper. I just don't know which one to purchase. My difficulty is finding somewhere that tells me the correct part number I need for the replacement steering cable. Can anyone help me? And is this actually an easy enough thing to do myself?

2)The "brain" of the boat has "died" meaning that the boat cannot be started. He tells me he knows this as he tried the brain from another Tige and it started up straight away. This concerns me because if he took a brain from another boat to test mine, what was to stop him from using my brain to test another boat previously and causing the damage to mine? The boat was in perfect working order when we left it into storage. The other concern I have is that the cause of the damage to the brain is from damp due to the boat being left out in the elements all winter. I'm told that the "brain" of the boat is very simple to replace as it is literally just a matter of unplugging the old one and plugging in the new. Has anyone any experience of this? Also, where could I find the replacement "brain" part number so that I can order a new one and replace it myself?

I would like to try to be self sufficient with fixing these issues as after speaking to the dealer and mechanics, I have lost confidence in dealing with them and worry that they are over-charging me for parts and labour, especially when it looks like these problems may be of their making.

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys.

D

Claim it under your insurance.

Pay your deductible and boom, get a new ECM.

When they ask why, say it was improperly stored by licensed dealer.

Although an ECM (brain) could go bad, its most likely moisture is the culprit.

Comment

If the ecm does need replacing it's going to be expensive....

It's most likely a mefi 4b. best to contact marine power as it will need their custom tune in it.

Things do just die but that is a bit suspicious. It's very unlikely to be damp related it's pretty well sealed.

Perhaps go somewhere else for a second opinion.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Comment

First of all, did you pay extra for covered storage, or have some kind of agreement that it was to be covered? If you did, then make the dealer fix the ECM. Second, why was the dealer messing around with your boat in storage? Did you have him prep it for summer use? If not, he broke it and needs to replace it. I bet he removed your ECM to test another boat with an issue. That issue fried your ECM.

Third and most important. When it's all said and done, don't return to that dealer. Sounds bad to me.

Comment

Welcome to the website and sorry to hear about your problems!
          Was your plug in the boat during it's outdoor winter campout?
          Last edited by TeamAllen; 06-17-2016, 07:30 PM.
          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Working...
          X