Low voltage & limp mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low voltage & limp mode

I have a 2008 22ve and am having problems with the voltage dropping and the boat going into limp mode. I'm not sure if it's going into limp mode due to the voltage drop or if my PPS is going bad but trying to figure out the best place to start.

When underway the dash gauge will fluctuate between 13.4 – 13.6 volts but at idle it will drop to 12.8 – 13 volts. I tested the volts going into the battery isolator and was getting 14 volts going in and 13 going out to each battery. The dash gauge also read 13 volts when testing.

How many volts should the alternator be putting out at idle compared to when running?

I had this problem last year and all my research led me to believe it is the potentiometer in the throttle. I have a new one but havent got the boat out yet to test it out. can you give us more info on the limp mode problems? How often does it happen? What is the boat doing before it happens? Do you get an alarm? what do you do to resolve it/ how long does the limp mode last?

My voltage is the same as yours, and like you, at first I thought it was a voltage problem.

Comment

The limp mode only happens at idle which is when the volts drop. I have been able to restart the engine and get it out of limp mode for a few more runs but then goes back into limp mode once I go back to retrieve the skier or dock.

The boat runs fine before and after the restart and there is no alarm. The limp mode will last until I restart the boat.

Both batteries were replaced last year when this issue first popped up. I fully charged the batteries before using the boat this year and didn't have any issues for the first few trips out. But then again this was just spent on boat rides and not idling back to pick up a downed skier.

Comment

1st thing I would do is do some voltage drop tests on all the main battery cables and the cables feeding the helm BUS. Next, I would confirm that there is a voltage drop between the battery and voltage gauge and work back until you find the drop.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Your problem sounds identical to the problem I was experiencing. It would occur more frequently with teaching new surfers ( a lot of starts and stops). Usually turning off the boat and starting it again would fix the problem but only temporarily, and sometimes that wouldn't even work and I would have to idle back to the dock.

At first I thought it was a voltage issue, but research pointed me to this being a faulty Potentiometer. Seriously do a forum search on "potentiometer" and countless threads will pop up with the same problem you are describing.

I have a 2006 22VE, and my sensor is model # 9861R5KL2.0 from BEI sensors. They are like $50 off ebay and easy to swap out.

Comment

I have read a lot of the posts and actually bought a new Poteniometer last year off ebay but it was either the wrong one or faulty as it didn't work when I plugged it in. I don't have the part # with me but will compare it to what you sent.

When I fully charged the batteries after getting the boat out of storage I did not experience any limp mode issues for the first few outings. Then again I wasn't pulling anyone but I did put the boat through the paces as if I was. I also didn't experience the voltage drop during this time.

I actually ended up taking the boat to the dealer to be checked out. I hate doing this and hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg but my schedule right now doesn't give me much time to work on the boat. I'll update you once I hear back from the shop.

Let me know if you have better luck with your new potentiometer.

Comment

Got the boat back and it was the Poteniometer that needed replaced. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet but hopefully all it good now.

Comment

I have a 2007 RZ2. I've had this problem all season. I've had several mechanics look at, been on the phone with Tige and marine power and nobody knows what the problem is. When ever I put down the throttle I lose power. Engine is on all the lights are on but just no power to the throttle. This happens every time I take the boat out whether cruising pulling a wakeboarder or surfing. It's intermittent but happens at least 2-3 times each time I take the boat out. I have to put the boat in neutral and then start again. I've replaces the throttle protentimeter, checked all lines, pressure and fuel pumps. It doesn't seem mechanical. Marine power wants me to send in my ecm to them to reflash or fix. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? If I send my ecm to marine power from Cananda I'm worried I'll lose weeks of my season. Anyone know if I can get a spare ecm that would work with my boat while it's being looked at? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X