adding RGB LED strips to 2011 RZ4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adding RGB LED strips to 2011 RZ4

I'm thinking I'd like to add a few strips around the boat. Both sides of the bow/aft and under the helm not sure of any other cool places. I'm researching strips and wiring. I think the Wetsounds $99 controller seems good enough for what I want to do. What wire can I use to connect each leg together and where could I tap into power under the helm for the controller?

You will need a 4-conductor. 28-22 gauge is good. The controller can be wired to the helm BUS ground bar and the main breaker panel feed B+ with a fused lead. Just note though, if using the economical LED strips that have the thin adhesive backing and a silicone encapsulation. The adhesive will not lat long support the weight of the strip. Those strips are not robust enough to be out in an area where they will be bumped or toughed, etc. They damage very easy, resulting in sections or whole strips going out. They work great for putting behind rings or up in a storage pocket, but wont last out anywhere else.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Do you have a recommendation for strips with adhesive? I think just about 5x12" sections would suffice unless there are some other areas I should do.

Comment

also 28-22 stranded or solid core wire?

Comment

I used 22 gauge stranded that I found at lowes but I have heard of guys using Ethernet cable which is solid.

I just finished my cabin area and making rings for my front bow speakers when they arrive. I did use the cheap RGB LED Waterproof strip and Mike is right it is easily breakable. I broke a section just installing it. Fortunately it was so cheap ($12 for two 15' strips) I just made another. I then got a Bluetooth controller from Amazon. I got less than $30 and works great. I like using there app on iphone as the controller vs physically mounted device but that's my preference. In the video it's set to music mode.

https://vimeo.com/167771806

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

which controller?

Originally posted by Captainkurk72 View Post
            I used 22 gauge stranded that I found at lowes but I have heard of guys using Ethernet cable which is solid.

I just finished my cabin area and making rings for my front bow speakers when they arrive. I did use the cheap RGB LED Waterproof strip and Mike is right it is easily breakable. I broke a section just installing it. Fortunately it was so cheap ($12 for two 15' strips) I just made another. I then got a Bluetooth controller from Amazon. I got less than $30 and works great. I like using there app on iphone as the controller vs physically mounted device but that's my preference. In the video it's set to music mode.

https://vimeo.com/167771806

Comment

XCSOURCE 12V Wireless Bluetooth V4.0 RGB LED Strip Light Controller For iOS Android LD448 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZQVWU2O..._bjerxb91K2483

Comment

I just finished doing a lot of this project. Followed this thread: http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.p...gs-diy/&page=1

The OP in the thread used 3/8" water line. I found it too small so I used 1/2" everywhere. On speakers you can use the 3/8" as the inside sleeve. For the cup holders the bend in the tubing is a bit tighter so 3/8" aluminum dowel was much better.

Ordered this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281189099697
                -I ordered from here as it was in Portland so I could get it in two days. The cheapest comes from China but I'd have to wait a week or two to get it....I'm inpatient.

Ordered this music controller: http://www.amazon.com/TWOPAGES-Strip...sic+controller
                -I've been having issues with flicker with this unit. The power supply that came with the strip doesn't so not sure where the issue lies at this point. Still working through.

Cable: I ordered a box of 1000'. lol. My family owns a telecommunications company so I just had my warehouse order me a box as making the company pay for it was still cheaper than me personally. Ha Ha.
                Attached Files

Comment

Don't use these: http://www.amazon.com/Zitrades-10PCS...led+connectors
                  -For the speakers it's not such a big deal but I would highly recommend soldering everything. I did my cup holders with these and it doesn't really work. The connection is bulky and if the strip moves around at all it doesn't connect right so you lose a color or it just doesn't work. Also, the holes for the cup holders are very tight so as you push them down they can lose connection if not soldered. I also had to make a small notch so the wire tail would slide down.

Comment

nice, for now I'm not going to tackle the cup holders and speakers. what did you use to secure the strips to the gelcoat?

Comment

I haven't placed strips anywhere that is on gelcoat. I've done all 6 inboat speakers, 4 cup holdes on each side, cup holder at helm, and my rear blower vent. Will also be getting the Rings for my Rev10's at somepoint.

Comment

I have the exact boat as yours.. did speaker rings, tower and in boat. RGB. I ran CAT6 cable for it all. Simple to use and run. Read the specs for POE (power over ethernet) and it far exceeds the power your LED's will ever draw. Easy to crimp and has been solid. did this mod 3 years ago with rings i got from MLA! has worked flawless.
                        2011 Tigé RZ4
                        www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

Originally posted by kmkramer71 View Post
                          nice, for now I'm not going to tackle the cup holders and speakers. what did you use to secure the strips to the gelcoat?
                          The ones I did in the cabin had a 3M sticky backing. I cleaned the gelcoat with alcohol real good before sticking. At he seams where the back seat comes out I cut and added connectors. I remove this seat at least once a year.

Comment

Working...
                          X