Adding Battery Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Battery Location

Hey everyone. Well, after having the Tige for a little over a week, I've decided I'm going to add a third battery to my system giving my sound system a little more play time at anchor. My question is, where is everyone putting added batteries? Also, is it necessary to put in another switch in between the stereo batteries as to not stress the alternator as much when they're depleted? I'll also be installing a ProMariner charger at the same time. Any help would be appreciated.
    BABz - babzusa.com
    Austin, TX

I have 2 additional batteries in my 15 Z3 and they are mounted on the starboard side behind the rear locker. I assume on the RZ4 the batteries are behind the port locker? You will have to move a couple of things but should have space there. As far as another switch you should be fine with the factory one just put the 2 non start batteries on one side. The charger will be much needed and will keep them operating just fine. I play for hours and charge at night with no issues.

If all else hydrotunes or scream marine is in your backyard and they do some sick stuff with boat stereos.

Comment

The STBS locker access is a good spot to locate a 2nd house battery. I like the idea of a simple on/off switch between the two house banks. This will minimize the load on the alternator after a long time at anchor. If you go that route, I would consider a 3 bank charger and charge with that switch open.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. JLG, yes they are behind the port locker. I'm actually thinking about adding 2 additional batteries do eliminate all doubt. Does anyone have a write up on how to do this? I'm more concerned about how to secure the batteries more than the actual wiring.

chpthril, why would you recommend the 3 bank over the 2 bank charger? It was my understanding that with the batteries (be it 1 additional or 2) in parallel, a 2 bank would be fine.
        BABz - babzusa.com
        Austin, TX

Comment

If you wire 2 house batteries together as one, then a 2 bank with adequate output will likely do. If you are going to use switch to isolate that 3rd battery, then you in effect have 3 banks. Even though those to house batteries will be tied together while on the hook, they will likely be isolated once back underway. This has them cycling at different rates. A 3 bank charger would condition, charge and maintain them is such.

You can also use a 3-bankon a 3 battery 2-bank. Two banks used to charge the house bank that contains 2 batteries. The charger's peak output is distributed across those 2 bank outputs rather then one. Just make sure the charger will function that way as not all will.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            If you wire 2 house batteries together as one, then a 2 bank with adequate output will likely do. If you are going to use switch to isolate that 3rd battery, then you in effect have 3 banks. Even though those to house batteries will be tied together while on the hook, they will likely be isolated once back underway. This has them cycling at different rates. A 3 bank charger would condition, charge and maintain them is such.

You can also use a 3-bankon a 3 battery 2-bank. Two banks used to charge the house bank that contains 2 batteries. The charger's peak output is distributed across those 2 bank outputs rather then one. Just make sure the charger will function that way as not all will.

I see. I'm looking at the Promariner Prosport 20. I can't remember where I read it, but I believe promariner recommends a connection for each battery being charged. Regardless of how the banks are setup. I will just go with the 3 bank.
            BABz - babzusa.com
            Austin, TX

Comment

So for anyone interested. Here is both sides of my RZ4. It looks as though there is plenty of room for 1, possibly 2 extra batteries on the starboard side. I'm pretty confident I can do this myself as its literally just running a few wires. But what about securing the batteries? Is there a specific tray I need to be using?

IMG_1860.jpgIMG_1855.jpgIMG_1856.jpg
              BABz - babzusa.com
              Austin, TX

Comment

I would use a matching group 24 interstate deep cycle battery, so you would just need a group 24 battery tray.

Comment

Here's a link to a post I did awhile back and there are pics of the extra 2 batteries installed on Starboard side. They are secured with plastic resin made into a tray, but as CHP said a simple tray with strap will do you just fine.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...highlight=treo

Comment

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be tackling this this week. I also contacted hydrotunes for a quote since there are literally a mile from me.

JLG- that thing is nasty!
                    BABz - babzusa.com
                    Austin, TX

Comment

Just wanted to update this for anyone thinking about doing the same thing. Hardest part was actually lifting the batteries into the compartments without any handles. I ended up going with two Costco golf cart batteries (Interstate) wired in series. Ordered wiring from bestboatwire.com which ended up being way cheaper than West Marine.

Also installed the ProMariner ProSport 20+ which works like a charm. I also installed a port plug. Originally I was nervous about drilling such a large hole. But the idea of taking the port door on and off every time I needed to plug in convinced me to pull the trigger. I am so glad I did this. So much easier to just plug an extension cord into the plug instead of getting the door on and off. Below are the links on Amazon where I purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s01

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s01

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

I did have one more question. The starboard side battery sits on a sort of lip, causing the battery to want to fall backwards. You can see what I'm talking about in the pictures above. Does anyone have any ideas of something I can put under the battery tray in the rear to level everything out? A block of treated wood? What?

Other than that everything is great. I couldn't be happier. Even if your not wanting to add battery capacity for your accessories, the ProMariner is a MUST. Do it and don't look back.
                      BABz - babzusa.com
                      Austin, TX

Comment

You need to fix that tilted battery. Exposing the plates is bad on the battery and can be a fire hazard. I would use a piece of .5" thick HDPE and secure it to the floor to expand the shelf area.

If anyone is interested, I can come close to those linked prices, and tech support is included. I typically stock battery trays, shore plug outlets and of course bulk cable and ends. I can also do your custom schematic.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I will pick up some hdpe today.
                          BABz - babzusa.com
                          Austin, TX

Comment

Working...
                          X