2003 tige 22v pop up front navigation light issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 tige 22v pop up front navigation light issue

I have the pop up front nav light that is not working, it worked previously, just stopped randomly this weekend. I took the bulb out to check it and it is good, hook to power source and it lights up. however once I put it back in the contacts I get nothing... any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have searched long and hard for another light, Tige no longer sells them, the manufacturer of the light (Hella) no longer makes them nor knows any distributer or dealer that would have them. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement I would go for that option as well.

thanks,

Dude... Same issue on my '03. Had it go out on me 2 Fridays ago. We came out of the restaurant in the dark, I hit the navs and nothing. It has always worked previously. I pulled the top off Sat morning to check it and when I pulled the two top screws to get the top off, something happened somewhere and it came on again. Worked fine sat night and Sunday night. So skip forward to this last weekend and once again, I've got no light. I've beat on the top and pushed it up and down and I have no idea what to do now. It's probly gonna be hard to find something to fit this hole in the bow

Comment

Start with a volt meter at the bulb contacts and check for voltage across the contacts and move back toward the switch until you find the issue.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Mike I think the issue is gonna be in the pop up mechanism itself. Somehow the contacts in it are wore I'm guessing. The light is supposed to come on when the pop up is all the way up and as soon as you push it down a fraction of an inch it turns off. I've got power at my wires going in, but it's a self contained unit that comes pre wired from the factory as one piece. The insides don't seem accessible. Found a page that sells them overseas but they aren't available in U.S.

Comment

Here's the only one I've been able to find. They're located in the UK... Any chance Mikes Liquid Audio has the pull the source one of these?

http://www.marinemegastore.com/produ...-ECS_13346.htm

Comment

I agree bryan. Anytime you put mechanical movement with electrical contacts together, the likely failure point is going to be right there. Thats why I would confirm its not a light socket, switch or wiring in between problem, before trying to source a replacement flip up.

Accon and Aqua-Signal both offer a flip up.
            Last edited by chpthril; 08-12-2015, 02:40 AM.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

So the Aqua signal pop up looks the wrong shape to fill the hole.. Accon looks pretty close, but it's also a $200 piece.. Jeeez

Comment

Edberni... Did a little disection of the Hella pop up navigation light this afternoon and here's what I found...

Picture 1 - with the cover off your light and the light pushed down, find this metal tab in the rear of the housing that I'm pointing to with my test light. Using a test light or volt meter, make sure you have power here. Your ground source for testing will be the bottom tab the bulb plugs into. Bottom is ground, top tab is power. Anyways, if you don't have power here, test at your switch. If your powered coming off your switch, but not at this tab, you need to trace your wire to make sure it's not cut or pinched in two somewhere between the light and the switch. If this is the case, and you can find the problem, fix it. It may be easier to grab some speaker wire and just run a new power and ground to your light. Anyways, once you do have power at this metal tab, let the light come back up. Running down the back of the light is a metal piece that the black wire coming over the top in the picture is attached to, check it for power. If it's hot your good, if not, push light back down and carefully pry this metal tab out some so it will make contact with light when raised.

Picture 2 - as you can see in my pic, I'm using a test light. With ground attached at bottom bulb contact, now check power at top contact. If you have power coming up the back strip, but not at the bulb, you have a gap like I'm pointing at in this picture. It's not pushed back far enough to contact the metal piece in the back (this was my problem. I'm thinking the boat vibrations have let my slip out a little)

Picture 3 - push the top metal piece back into this slot a little more so that it makes contact. As you can see in this picture, there is no gap now and your light should be working..
                Last edited by Bryan; 08-13-2015, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X