Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter shot (again) and it is leaking sludge??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter shot (again) and it is leaking sludge??

We have a 2006 22i that we got at our camp last year. Ran fine last year except for some intermittent issues traced to a starter relay. This year when it would not crank we replaced the starter and that was only 3 weeks ago. Just recently it won't crank again, and when I took the starter out, it was leaking sludge - like muddy water. Did not seem oily, so much as thick and dirty... That seems like a bad thing for a starter... My question is "why is this happening?" and are there solutions besides replacing a starter every 3 weeks? Thanks for any ideas, feedback, or dumb tax you have paid.

I would read under item #2.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...-Motor-Failure
    2011 Tigé RZ4
    www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

Are you getting a lot of water in the bilge, if so you need to address where its coming from , the water will get in the bell housing and into the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by dom w. forte View Post
        Are you getting a lot of water in the bilge, if so you need to address where its coming from , the water will get in the bell housing and into the starter.
        Thanks you guys. Yes, we had an issue when water witch (non float) auto bilge switch got fried by lightning. Also I think we have some seepage around some of the through bolts in the hull at the rudder etc.

I'm going to go ahead and tear this starter down, check it out, clean it up, and see if I can get it back in shape.

Comment

Working...
        X