2002 21v No spark until you let off key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 21v No spark until you let off key

I have a 2002 21v rider edition with 350 mag mpi. Every few hours the engine will turn over 7-8 seconds and will not spark and the second you release the key from the crank position the engine will start. I have confirmed there is no spark by leaving a timing light hooked up all day waiting on it to happen. I have replaced the distributor cap and rotor and have a very good battery. I don't know which of the external coil/ignition module wires have power. It has also never died or failed to start(what I mean is it has never left me stranded)

Replace the key switch, internal failure between the start circuit wiring and power to the coil through the switch.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
      Replace the key switch, internal failure between the start circuit wiring and power to the coil through the switch.
      Thanks for the input. I will. Is one of the three wires from ignition switch only power coil when key is in the crank position? Calling Tige' today to see if I can get a wiring diagram.

Comment

The purple wire is power to all the gauges and coil when the key is on. The internal switch wiring allows power to remain on when cranking but if the switch is malfunctioning during the momentary cranking and not providing power to the gauges or coil you get the symptoms you describe.
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
          The purple wire is power to all the gauges and coil when the key is on. The internal switch wiring allows power to remain on when cranking but if the switch is malfunctioning during the momentary cranking and not providing power to the gauges or coil you get the symptoms you describe.
          Wow boatwakes! Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
          X