Bad Ignition Switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Ignition Switch?

Is my ignition switch bad? Sometimes it acts up on first start of the day/weekend, and sometimes it's ok. When it acts up I have to turn it on and off a few times to get the engine to finally turn over. Once it's been started the first time it doesn't happen anymore. It does always seem to have a hesitation of about a second or so from when you turn the key to start and when the motor actually cranks... Is this the switch or is there another electrical component/relay somewhere that could cause this? It's just weird that it isn't consistent and it worries me that one of these times it won't turn over at all..

It sounds like the start relay and to determine, try this: when it occurs, expect it and have a helper ready by holding the key continuously in the start position while you tap on the relays located on the top of the engine that has the yellow with red wires going into it. If it starts when u hit it, all you need is a new relay. You can also check the incoming yellow with red stripe wire for 12 volts when the key is turned to start (be sure to disconnect from the relay to check) there will be one yellow with red coming in and one yellow with red going to the starter so check both sides to confirm its the relay.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Great info... Thanks I'll give it a try

Comment

x2 on boatwakes' suggestion. If it was the ignition switch I'd expect things to be MUCH more intermittent, with the engine shutting off abruptly and unexpectedly quite often.

Report back on what you find!

Comment

Ok great.. Haven't had a chance to check it yet, but a quick google search for a mercruiser 350 mag starter relay shows these things to be $25 to $30 and look like a standard GM starter relay. If I opt to just grab a new one and replace it, is this something that needs to be mercruiser/marine specific or can I run down to oreillys and grab a GM 350 starter relay?

Comment

Not mercruiser specific and can easily be replaced without concern using another manufacturers part.
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

If you have a Merc, it is probably a slave solenoid going bad and not a relay. I had this happen on my boat, and my problem that I experienced sounds identical to yours. Replaced every relay with no improvement. Replaced the slave solenoid, and it starts like new.

Comment

Am I looking at the correct relay here next to the circuit breaker? 2 big wires on top with 2 smaller wires coming out of the base?

Rj.. If this is the right relay I think I'm gonna try it first, since it appears to be a ton easier to change than the solenoid..

Comment

Ok another post... Even more confused now... Just looked on the merc parts catalog and they are listing this part I have pictured above as a "starter solenoid" and also showing the starter mounted solenoid as a "starter kit".... Is this top mounted "solenoid" also Whatpeople are calling the relay?

Comment

The part in the picture is the correct part to which I am referring as the slave solenoid. It may also be referred to add a solenoid starter. My Merc manual part number is 89-96158T. My guess is this part is the cause to your problems.

Comment

Ok great... Just ordered it and should have it by Wednesday.. Thanks for your help

Comment

Good deal. I hope it solves your problem. I replaced the ignition switch and several relays without any success before I arrived at this part. Hopefully it will save you some time.

Comment

***UPDATE*** Changed the above pictured part, whether you call it a relay or a slave solenoid or whatever, it fixed my problem.. Engine cranks first time every time with no more hesitation after turning key. Thanks a bunch for all the help guys.

Comment

Glad to hear that it solved your problems!

Comment

Working...
                            X