Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2007 Tige 20V TAPS 2 Problem...A tricky one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 Tige 20V TAPS 2 Problem...A tricky one.

Hey guys and gals,
    I am hoping someone can provide some solutions to this one. I have done lots of searching but I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem. My TAPS2 stopped working today. When I go into the up or down position with the engine running it will stall out the engine of the boat. I re-start and all is good. The plate will not move up or down. With the engine off you can hear the relay clicking in both up and down positions of the switch.
    Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
    Joe

The wires inside the throttle for the taps switch are shorting out. I had exactly that issue.

Bit of a pain to replace them but doable with patience.

You need to use super flexible (high strand count) wire.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chrissnow View Post
      The wires inside the throttle for the taps switch are shorting out. I had exactly that issue.

Bit of a pain to replace them but doable with patience.

You need to use super flexible (high strand count) wire.

Thank you so much. Your help is greatly appreciated.
      Joe

Comment

your welcome :-)

I used this stuff, the manufacturer is Turnigy I think
        http://www.componentshop.co.uk/cable...-cables/22-awg
        super flexible and dead easy to solder as it's tinned copper. commonly used for RC models etc.

I also fitted a 3 pole automotive connector so it's not a massive pain to take the throttle out in future!

Comment

I just dealt with this also. My wires got caught in the shifting mechanism if you crawled under the dash and looked behind the sideway the shifter handle is on you could see where they were being pinched and were touching metal shorting it out in to the trim up if the handle was moved. Good luck.

Comment

if heard where people put the switch in the dash and i believe this is what i do when this problem happens to me after i get the rest of the issues with my taps sorted out

Comment

That makes total sense for the wires shorting out. In certain positions of the throttle the TAPS works perfectly. I will set to work and replace the wires as suggested with the flexible type. We have a hobby shop near my house where I'm sure I can pick up the wire.

Thank you all for the input.
              Safe boating!
              Joe

Comment

I also used some heatshrink over all 3. Cables where the grub screw grips them and went as far my new connector to protect from the linkages etc.

Make sure to leave the. Loose loops of cable inside the shifter. 2 from memory.

I used 22awg which is what was already on it.

Comment

Working...
                X