2003 23V Electrical Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 23V Electrical Issue

Hey guys, been a while since I've been here but recently started having a problem with my boat. To begin with, I replaced my alternator a couple months ago so I should probably get it tested first but my issue is as follows. With the key turned to the acc position or in the on position without the engine running, my stereo works. As soon as I start the engine, the stereo comes and for a split second a shuts off. It does this the entire time the engine is running, as does my perfect pass. So I'm thinking it could possibly be the voltage regulator but I know there's a few experts here so I thought I'd check in first. I know my batteries aren't getting a charge when it's running because it just about quit on me yesterday while loading up. All I could do was idle. I've also noticed my volt meter on the dash doesn't move any either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Check your battery voltages with and without the engine running. 12v without 13.5v running. All ballpark figures but it should go up a volt or 2

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Also why did you replace the alternator? If it wasn't charging and your battery went flat that might be knackered too.

EDIT,

just reread your post, measure the voltage at the alternator, you may have a blown fuse somewhere on the alternator circuit.

you mention a voltage regulator, do you have one external to the alternator?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by ChrisSnow; 06-22-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

how fresh are the batteries? even with bad batteries they may have enough to run the starter but with the boat running (fuel pumps, sensors, ect) your running either direct off the alternator. Let us know what the status of the volts are on a meter.
        My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

fixing to get it on the charger and start checking voltage. I'm pretty sure the regulator is internal on the alternator. My previous alternator actually locked up lol, so yea it got the boot. It was the original from 2003.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh and my starter battery is brand new, a couple months old, and the other is one year old. I also noticed I've got the 60 Amp Buss Waterproof fuses so I reckon I should check those to make sure they're still good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X