Amp sub woofer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp sub woofer help

So my sub woofer which was a 8 OHM JL audio connected to a JL Audio 500/1 amp was blown. I had a neighbor who game me a good deal on a brand new 4 OHM Polk Audio Sub woofer that he pulled out of his brand new boat. I thought it would be an ok replacement for my 7 year old blown sub. Quickly installed it and connected it and its not hitting. No idea why but my amp wont light up. No lights at all accept when I trip and reset the breaker, the lights on it briefly flicker.

Any ideas whats wrong? Can I use this 4 ohm sub with this JL Audio 500/1 amp?

You are meant to use 4 ohm subs. Check your remote turn on wire, sounds like amps getting power. Using a 8 ohm sub would only been using about 275watts off that amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Driver impedance won't effect amp turn on. Wrong impedance may put the amp in protect mode. Are u sure the original problem was a bad driver and not the amp?
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Well I am not certain there wasn't an issue with the amp to begin with. But the foam around the woofer was brittle and pretty much all gone so it needed to be fixed or replaced anyway. i was just concerned tat I put this 4 ohm woofer on and blew up the amp or something.

Comment

Ok good. Its always good when you see a physical issue with a sub, rather then a strange operating issue.

So basically, it was just a woofer swap?

The fastest way to a resolution is going to be by using a volt meter. You need to check for voltage across the amps main power cables and then across the amps negative cable terminal and turn-on terminal with the head-unit turned on. You should have battery voltage in both tests.

Yes, you can safely use a 4 ohm single voice coil woofer with that 500/1 amp. Knowing which specific model it is, will help in getting it tuned correctly for that Polk 10", once this other issue is resolved.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks Mike. Yeah I just swapped out the woofer. I will be checking it out your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
            X