Check my power thinking please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check my power thinking please

So I don't have a diagram - so hopefully my description will work out.

Up to this point, I've just had a simple Kenwood head unit connected to 4 speakers. Time to upgrade a bit, but I'm not going crazy, since I'd rather spend money on boat gas than stereo.

So - here's the changes/additions:

1. Replacing Kenwood unit for another so I can have a remote at the helm
    2. Adding a 900W amp (note it has a 40amp fuse on it - hmmm - but I don't think I'll pull that much since I don't play things that loud)
    3. Adding a Clarion CMG2510 10" sub 250W peak, 100W RMS
    4. 4 speakers 180W peak, 60W RMS

So, I'm starting out with just one battery - perhaps adding a second shortly. I know if I add a second amp/tower speakers, etc, this is pretty much a requirement.
    My current alternator is the stock 55A - first question - should I consider upgrading to a 100+ Amp alternator

On the wiring side:

1. I was going to pull a short (12 - 18") 4 GA + side wire from the battery through a 100Amp fuse to a fused distribution block
    2. 50 Amp fuse at the distribution block feeding 8 GA wire from one post of the distribution block to the Amp
    3. 15 Amp fuse at the distribution block feeding 14 GA to the head unit

Set up a buss bar for common ground - not sure what size cable from the bus bar to the - side on the battery....basically mirrors the + side wiring?

Adding a 900W amp (note it has a 40amp fuse on it - hmmm - but I don't think I'll pull that much since I don't play things that loud)
    It will likely have a continuous draw of around 25A

So, I'm starting out with just one battery - perhaps adding a second shortly. I know if I add a second amp/tower speakers, etc, this is pretty much a requirement.
    Im a huge fan of having dual battery banks in a boat, but a 2nd bank for audio is not really needed, until you want to drop anchor and play the tunes. I would consider doing the 2nd battery bank at this time, because your amp wiring will have to be relocated once the dual bank and switch is installed.

I was going to pull a short (12 - 18") 4 GA + side wire from the battery through a 100Amp fuse to a fused distribution block
    This will give you some room to add a 2nd mild amp later

50 Amp fuse at the distribution block feeding 8 GA wire from one post of the distribution block to the Amp
    Id go with a 30A

Set up a buss bar for common ground - not sure what size cable from the bus bar to the - side on the battery....basically mirrors the + side wiring?
    If the ground run will be about the same distance as the B+, then it should be the same size. On that note, I would consider a combo fused/ground 1 in/2 out block as opposed to a fused block and a BUS bar. You can still add that 2nd amp later.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Mike - thanks for the quick reply - I appreciate the suggestions!

Comment

So assuming I would use a wet sounds WW-BIG Block combo, and it uses ANL Fuses , how do I get a small enough fuse for the head unit - run another inline after the block combo (given that ANL goes down to 35A sizes)?

or are you suggesting a different combo block?

Comment

You need to draw this out. Will really help if you have the amplifier specs. Each amp has a recommended fuse size in the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by uttige2002 View Post
            So assuming I would use a wet sounds WW-BIG Block combo, and it uses ANL Fuses , how do I get a small enough fuse for the head unit - run another inline after the block combo (given that ANL goes down to 35A sizes)?

or are you suggesting a different combo block?
            What fused block with a 4ga in/8ga out that holds a 50A and a 15A fuse did you have in mind? I use the Metra T-Spec V12DB14PN. Then use an inline fuse holder an piggyback the end in along with the amp lead. Doesnt take up that 2nd fused outlet just for the head-unit.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Mike - PM sent

Comment

Working...
              X