Please help - Weak voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ts-diodes.html

Welcome to electronics 101! 0.7v drop across a diode means it's working correctly!

Comment

I had a similar issue with mine a few years ago after I had to replace a circuit breaker that deteriorated from brackish water. After replacing the circuit breaker the next time out on the water I ended up getting an alarm sound and once checking the gauges and displays found that the battery voltage showing was below 11v. That incident began my investigation into what was going on and I had the same symptoms you did with voltage, good volts at the alternator and diode box but not at the batteries and up to the gauges. What I ended up finding was I made an error in how I reconnected the battery cables when I reinstalled them after the repair. The circuit breaker was mounted on a panel back in the port locker behind the batteries and it was nec to disconnect and remove batteries for the replacement. I searched the forum and found a battery cable schematic which I believe Mike had shared in a previous post and used that to check my cables connections and found that didn't have it correct. I used the diagram and restored cable connections by that and wha-la, it was back to normal. Not sure if you disconnected the batteries all the way, but your condition may be as simple as that. Just thought I would share that in hopes that it may be that easy. Mike; do you know about the battery cable diagram I'm talking about?

Good luck.
      I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Comment

Thanks so much guys. I added an extra ground wire from the alternator housing to the negative terminal of the battery and I get a lot more charge. Fantastic advice - thanks so much and hope you guys have a great Xmas

Comment

Working...
        X